site map

Match report

Sunday, 10 July 2011
Saints ease to win over UCD

Pre-Season Friendly
University College Dublin (1) v Saints (4)
Attendance [0]

ABOVE: Kevin Moon fires home the opening goal of the game

Saints followed up Thursday night’s 1-1 draw in Drogheda with a comfortable win over the students and college graduates of University College Dublin this afternoon with Kevin Moon, Stevie May, Murray Davidson and our trialist striker all on target in a 4-1 win.

The larger crowds in Dublin may have been heading to the massive Oxegen music festival and the Gaelic football clash between Dublin and Wexford at Croke Park but for Perth fans the university complex was where the important action was taking place.

Defender Callum Davidson was rested-up and Steven Anderson started alongside Frazer Wright in central defence as Derek McInnes made sure all his players got game time and there were just four minutes on the clock when Saints broke the deadlock.

Kevin Moon was the scorer with a great goal as he feinted to shake-off a UCD defender to make space 25 yards out before striding forward and lashing a great rising right foot strike into the top corner.

Summer signing David Robertson was required to provide a goal line clearance to keep Saints ahead and keeper Peter Enckelman watched a snapshot from skipper Robbie Creevy rise over his crossbar.

Saints made it 2-0 in 21 minutes when our trialist striker left two defenders trailing in his wake before a fierce left foot shot exploded into the net behind UCD keeper Gerrard Barron.

Stevie May was called into the fray to replace a limping Carl Finnigan and after firing narrowly past within minutes of coming on, the young striker did find the target, sweeping in a close range finish after our other trialist (former Saints Marcus Haber) had nodded down a Liam Craig cross to make it 3-0.

Captain Jody Morris was given a chance to prove his back injury problems are behind him with a second-half run and one of the first things he witnessed was the home side narrowing the deficit when David O’Sullivan fired a shot past Enckelman in the 58th minute but midfielder Murray Davidson soon restored our three goal advantage, converting Dave Mackay’s cross over the line.

The final moments of the game saw UCD sub David O’Connor forced keeper Enckelman into a great save.

Our trialist striker played 75 minutes while Canadian international Haber, trying to secure another deal in Perth, played all but the last five minutes in a wide right role.

St Johnstone: Enckelman, Mackay, Anderson, Wright (McCracken 46), Craig (Maybury 65), M. Davidson (Adams 65), Moon (Morris 46), Robertson (Millar 65), Trialist (Caddis 85), Trialist (Higgins 65) and Finnigan (May 38).

UCD: Barron, Harding, Russell, Son, Boyle, Creevy, Kavanagh, Ledwith, O’
Sullivan, Doyle and Roche. Subs: O’Connor, Leahy, Corry, Meenan, Kelly, Rusk, Morrison, McNelis and Langtry.

Referee:Derek Tomley.

Top - Liam Craig in action
Bottom - Stevie May scores his goal

Back to previous pageBack to previous page

Site Map

©Copyright 2008/2016 - all rights reserved
St Johnstone Football Club
McDiarmid Park, Crieff Road, Perth, PH1 2SJ
Registered in Scotland 7629

Unless otherwise stated all photographs on this site are ©Perthshire Picture Agency and may not be used without permission.