Aberdeen 3-0 Saints

Saturday 30th September

Saints this afternoon lost 3-0 to Aberdeen at Pittodrie. The Dons opened the scoring on 7 minutes when some quick-thinking by Kenny McLean saw him take a quick free kick to Stevie May and he crossed the ball into the box to Adam Rooney who glanced the ball past Alan Mannus. The home side then double their lead on 18 minutes as from a Ryan Christie corner Anthony O’Connor flicked the ball onto Rooney who headed home from close range for his second of the afternoon. Adam Rooney then completed his hat-trick with 9 minutes remaining as he scored from the penalty spot after Christie had been fouled by substitute Denny Johnstone.


Saints made the trip up the A90 today to take on Derek McInnes’ Aberdeen. Tommy Wright made two changes to the team that started last weekend’s 2-1 win at home to Hamilton Accies as Richard Foster and Liam Craig dropped out to be replaced by Aaron Comrie and Scott Tanser. There were two changes to the Aberdeen side that defeated Motherwell 1-0 at Fir Park last Sunday as Greg Stewart and Adam Rooney came into replace Andrew Considine and Greg Tansey.

Aberdeen got the match underway and they were awarded a free kick on 7 minutes after Murray Davidson had fouled Greg Stewart. Kenny McLean took the free kick quickly. He played it to Stevie May who whipped in a deep cross which picked out Adam Rooney and he glanced his header past Alan Mannus to give The Dons the lead.

Aberdeen almost got a second goal on 11 minutes as Graeme Shinnie went on a good run, beating a couple of Saints players before unleashing a strike at goal which was turned behind for a corner by Mannus.

The Dons though did get a second on 18 minutes as Ryan Christie played a short corner to May who whipped another ball into the box which picked out Anthony O’Connor who rose well to flick it onto Rooney at the back post who headed the ball into the net.

Saints were awarded a free kick on the half hour mark after Graham Cummins had been fouled by May. The free kick was taken by Scott Tanser and he delivered a good ball into the box from the right that was only cleared as far as Paul Paton who fired a shot well over.

Saints created a chance on 37 minutes as after some good build-up play out on the right, Stefan Scougall crossed the ball into the box to Steven MacLean. However, the Saints striker couldn’t make a proper connection with the ball as Joe Lewis gathered.

The home side again looked dangerous on 43 minutes as their crisp passing setup Christie who had a low strike at goal from just outside the box which was saved by Mannus.

Saints made a double change at the start of the second half as Chris Millar and David Wotherspoon came on for Paul Paton and Scott Tanser.

The home fans were claiming for a penalty on 51 minutes as May went down in the box from a challenge by Millar but referee John Beaton indicated that the Saints midfielder had won the ball fairly. Shortly after the home side were awarded a free kick which was taken by May but his effort was straight at Mannus.

Saints were creating more opportunities during the second half as on 69 minutes Aaron Comrie tried to pick out Graham Cummins with a good ball into the box but his cross was well gathered by Lewis. Then a minute later Scougall linked up with Steven Anderson and the Saints captain did well to win a corner which was comfortably cleared by the home defence.

Saints then made their third change of the match on 75 minutes as Denny Johnstone came on for Steven MacLean. The on-loan striker was quickly involved in the action as on 79 minutes he brought down Christie in the box for a penalty. Adam Rooney stepped up to take the penalty and he calmly sent Mannus the wrong way to complete his hat-trick.

With 3 minutes, remaining Saints created a decent chance as Comrie got away from his man to cross the ball into the box to Davidson. The Saints midfielder then headed the ball goal wards towards Cummins who headed the ball over from close range.

Aberdeen introduced Frank Ross into the action on 88 minutes, coming on for Ryan Christie, and the young midfielder almost had an immediate impact as he found himself in space on the edge of the box and he unleashed a shot at goal which hit the post with Mannus beaten. Then in added on time Ross tried to setup fellow substitute Nicky Maynard who had a shot at goal which was saved by Mannus. Overall, it was a bad day at the office for Saints.

Aberdeen: Lewis, Logan, Shinnie, O’Connor, McLean, Stewart (Wright 81), Rooney, Árnason, McKenna, Christie (Ross 88), May (Maynard 86)

Unused Substitutes: Rogers (GK), Reynolds, Mackay-Steven, Ball

Booked: Shinnie, O’Connor

Scorers: Rooney (7, 18, 81 pen)

Saints: Mannus, Tanser (Wotherspoon 45), Shaughnessy, Anderson, Davidson, MacLean (Johnstone 75), Comrie, Paton (Millar 45), Scougall, Easton, Cummins

Unused Substitutes: Clark (GK), Craig, Thomson, Gilchrist

Booked: Millar

Referee: John Beaton

Attendance: 14,879

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Adam Rooney scores his third of the afternoon from the penalty spot