Dundee 0-4 Saints

Saturday 10th March

Saints recorded their biggest Scottish Premiership win of the season as they put in a dominant display to defeat Dundee 4-0 at Dens Park this afternoon.

Saints took the lead on 24 minutes when Murray Davidson’s shot was deflected past Dundee keeper Elliot Parish by defender Jordan Piggott.

Chris Kane doubled Saints advantage on 37 minutes after some good work by Steven MacLean to win the ball on the by-line from Josh Meekings.

Saints got a third on 64 minutes when Blair Alston netted on the rebound after Kane had been denied by Parish. Kane then got his second and Saints fourth of the afternoon two minutes later when he fired the ball high into the net.


Saints made the short trip to The City of Discovery today for a local derby against Dundee. Tommy Wright made three changes to the side that started on Wednesday evening at Kilmarnock as Steven Anderson, Liam Craig and Steven MacLean came into the starting line-up to replace Aaron Comrie, David Wotherspoon and George Williams. Dundee manager Neil McCann made four changes to the side that started their last game; a 1-0 defeat to Motherwell at Dens Park a fortnight ago. Out went Genseric Kusunga, Glen Kamara, Sofien Moussa and Paul McGowan to be replaced by A-Jay Leitch-Smith, Jon Aurtenetxe, Jesse Curran and Lewis Spence.

Dundee got the match underway at a dreich Dens Park and it was Saints who created the first chance of the match on 6 minutes as Steven MacLean went for a spectacular volley from 20 yards that went wide of the target.

Saints had started brightly and they were awarded an inviting free kick just outside the box on 17 minutes after Chris Kane had been fouled by Josh Meekings. The free kick was taken by Liam Craig however, the midfielder’s effort was saved by Elliott Parish.

Dundee were then forced to make an early change on 19 minutes as Jordan Piggott came on for Lewis Spence.

Saints promising start was rewarded on 24 minutes when they took the lead. Chris Millar’s cross was chested down by Steven Anderson to Jason Kerr. The young defender then crossed the ball to Murray Davidson whose shot was deflected into the net by Piggott.

Dundee almost got an instant response a minute later as Simon Murray picked out Roarie Deacon whose shot was deflected for a corner which came to nothing.

Deacon was the first player in Craig Thomson’s book on 29 minutes when he fouled Davidson just outside the box. The resultant free kick was taken by Scott Tanser and his curling effort rattled off Parish’s left-hand post before being cleared.

Saints then doubled their lead on 37 minutes as a long ball forward from Jason Kerr looked like it was going to be shepherd out for a goal kick by Josh Meekings. However, Steven MacLean did well to win the ball at the by-line from Meekings. The striker then cut the ball back to Blair Alston who setup Chris Kane for a simple finish from 12 yards.

With 2 minutes of the first half remaining Dundee were claiming for a penalty as Simon Murray was through on goal before going down in the box under the challenge from Tanser. However, Craig Thomson indicated that the Saints left-back had won the ball fairly.

The home side made a change before the second half could get underway as Sofien Moussa came on for Cammy Kerr as they looked to try and get back into the match.

On 59 minutes Alan Mannus was called into action as he easily held a header from A-Jay Leitch-Smith. Then 2 minutes later Mark O’Hara headed wide from a Jon Aurtenetxe corner.

Play then switched to the other end as Saints made it 3. A long ball forward played in Kane who raced in on goal although the effort from the Saints striker was blocked by Parish. However, the ball then broke to Alston and the midfielder fired it into the net.

Then 2 minutes later it was 4 as Kane cut inside from the left before racing into the box. The striker did well to hold off the challenge from Steven Caulker and Meekings before slamming the ball high into the net for his second of the afternoon.

Many of the home fans had now left Dens with the 605 Saints fans in The Bob Shankly Stand looking for a fifth. However, they had to settle for four on what was a great day to be a Saints fan!

Dundee: Parish, Kerr (Moussa 45), Caulker, Leitch-Smith, O’Hara, Aurtenetxe, Murray (El Bakhtaoui 65), Deacon, Meekings, Curran, Spence (Piggott 19)

Unused Substitutes: Ferrie (GK), Kusunga, O’Dea, Lambert

Booked: Deacon, Piggott

Saints: Mannus, Tanser, Alston (Wotherspoon 74), Shaughnessy, Anderson, Millar (McClean 81), Davidson, MacLean, Kerr, Kane, Craig

Unused Substitutes: Clark (GK), Williams, Comrie, Johnstone, Gordon

Booked: Millar, Wotherspoon, Davidson

Scorers: Piggott (24 OG), Kane (37, 66), Alston (64)

Referee: Craig Thomson

Attendance: 5,336

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Chris Kane scores his second and Saints fourth of the afternoon