Hamilton Accies 1-2 Saints

Tuesday 8th May

Goals from David McMillan and David Wotherspoon saw Saints defeat Hamilton Accies 2-1 at New Douglas Park this evening.

After a goalless first half Saints took the lead on 65 minutes when McMillan netted from the penalty spot after George Williams had been fouled by home keeper Ryan Fulton.

Then with 10 minutes remaining Wotherspoon doubled Saints advantage after being setup by Stefan Scougall. However, 2 minutes later the hosts reduced the deficit when Dougie Imrie planted a powerful header past Zander Clark.

However, Saints saw the game out and remain level on points with Motherwell in seventh place with one game remaining.


After Saturday’s demolition of Motherwell at Fir Park, Saints were back on the road this evening when they travelled to South Lanarkshire for their penultimate game of the season against Hamilton Accies. Tommy Wright made two changes to the team that started against the Steelmen as Liam Gordon and David McMillan, who was making his first start for Saints, came in for Steven Anderson and Steven MacLean. Hamilton Accies manager Martin Canning made three changes to the team that started Saturday’s 1-0 at Dundee as Gary Woods, Shaun Want and Rakish Bingham dropped out to be replaced by Ryan Fulton, Scott McMann and David Templeton.

Accies got the first half started in the evening sunshine and within minutes of the match getting underway Liam Gordon had to twice receive treatment and get a change of shirt for bloody nose.

It was an even start to the match as neither side created anything of significance to trouble either keeper. Then on 14 minutes Saints were forced into a change as Ali McCann came on for the injured Matty Willock.

The home side were looking for a penalty on 20 minutes after Danny Redmond clashed with Joe Shaughnessy however, Redmond was instead booked for simulation in the Saints box.

Accies were awarded a free kick on 27 minutes after Marios Ogkmpoe was fouled by Jason Kerr. It was taken by David Templeton however, his effort was well gathered by Zander Clark.

On 31 minutes the hosts were awarded another free kick after Templeton had been brought down by Murray Davidson on the edge of the box. Templeton again took the free kick however, this time Clark made a great one-handed save to deny the Accies man.

Hamilton should have broken the deadlock with 10 minutes of the first half remaining as a good though ball by Templeton set Redmond free and the midfielder raced into the Saints box before putting his effort inches wide. Although Liam Gordon had done well to get back to put pressure on the midfielder as he unleashed his effort at goal.

Then on 40 minutes Saints came very close to opening the scoring as David Wotherspoon floated a good ball from the left picking out George Williams whose left-footed effort hit Ryan Fulton’s right-hand post.

Play very quickly switched to the other end as Templeton and Redmond linked up again with the latter this time putting his effort inches over.

The match was now becoming more open and just before half time Saints hit the woodwork again with Scott Tanser’s strike hitting Fulton’s right-hand post after David McMillan had squared the ball to the left-back.

With the match now into one minute of additional time Accies created yet another chance to score, this time Dougie Imrie’s ball from the right picked out Darren Lyon who poked his shot wide of Clark’s goal.

3 minutes into the second half Clark was called into action as he made a great save pushing a Darian MacKinnon header behind for a corner, which was comfortably dealt with by the Saints defence.

Saints were awarded a penalty on 64 minutes after Williams was brought down in the box by Accies goalkeeper Fulton. McMillan stepped up to take the penalty and he coolly sent Fulton the wrong way as he slotted the ball low into the corner of the net.

McMillan got a chance to double Saints led on 71 minutes however, his header from a Richard Foster cross was well held by Fulton.

Saints then made a couple of changes as they introduced Callum Hendry and Stefan Scougall into the action and both subs would be involved in the build-up as Saints doubled their advantage with 10 minutes remaining. Davidson slipped the ball to Hendry who had a shot from just outside the box which Fulton made a good one-handed save. The loose ball was then picked up by Scougall and he cut the ball back to David Wotherspoon who fired low strike into the corner of the net much to the delight of the 425 Saints fans in the stand behind the goal.

Prior to that the Lanarkshire had been pushing to get back into the match and they pulled a goal back on 82 minutes as Imrie met a Mickel Miller cross from the right and powered a header past Clark.

The closing stages of the match saw the hosts push for an equaliser however, the Saints defence stood firm to see the game to secure the 3 points.

Hamilton Accies: Fulton, McMann, Jenkins, Tomas, Imrie, Redmond (Miller 74), Van der Weg, Templeton (Bingham 85), Mackinnon, Lyon, Ogkmpoe (Rojano 72)

Unused Substitutes: Jamieson (GK), Scott, Hughes, Cunningham

Booked: Redmond, Ogkmpoe

Scorer: Imrie (82)

Saints: Clark, Tanser, Shaughnessy, Davidson, Wotherspoon, Williams (Scougall 79), Kerr, McMillan (Hendry 76), Foster, Gordon, Willock (McCann 14)

Unused Substitutes: Mannus (GK), Comrie, Watson, Craig

Booked: Foster, Kerr

Scorers: McMillan (65 pen), Wotherspoon (80)

Referee: Kevin Clancy

Attendance: 2,367

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Ryan Fulton fouls George Williams for the penalty