Hibernian U20s 5-0 Saints U20s

Tuesday 10th October

Saints Under 20s this afternoon lost 5-0 to Hibernian at the Oriam Performance Centre. The hosts took the lead on 10 minutes as Jamie Gullan cut inside before firing a low shot across McKenzie and into the net. Hibs then doubled their advantage 13 minutes later as Oli Shaw converted an Andrew Blake cross. The Hibs striker then his got his second of the game on 32 minutes as he controlled the ball well before beating McKenzie at his near post. Shaw then completed his hat-trick for the hosts on 61 minutes as he converted a Blake through ball. Then 3 minutes later Adam Watson completed the scoring as he coolly fired the ball into the net following a scramble in the Saints box.


Saints Under 20s were at the Oriam Performance Centre today for a Development League game against Hibernian as they looked to bounce back after last Tuesday’s disappointing 4-2 defeat at home to Hearts.

Hibernian got the match underway but it was Saints who created the first chance of the match on 6 minutes as Jamie Docherty saw his strike at goal pushed behind for a corner by Maciej Dabrowski. Then a minute later John Robertson did well to get away from his marker before unleashing a shot at goal which was deflected for another corner.

A Jamie Gullan cross on 9 minutes almost caught out Saints keeper Ben McKenzie as Hibs started to put pressure on the Saints goal. Then a minute later the hosts took the lead as the ball was played out wide to Gullan and he cut inside before driving a low shot across McKenzie and into the net.

McKenzie was called into action on 12 minutes as he got done well to save an Oli Shaw strike. Then a minute later Shaw had another strike at goal which hit McKenzie’s left-hand post.

On 14 minutes Euan O’Reilly delivered a good ball into the box as he tried to pick out John Robertson however, the young striker couldn’t make a connection with the ball.

Hibs continued to press and on 20 minutes McKenzie made a great save as he tipped an Andrew Blake shot behind for a corner from which Kevin Waugh headed wide.

Saints created an opening on 22 minutes as Cameron Ballantyne did well to hold off the challenge of several Hibs players before getting a shot away which was well held by Dabrowski.

The home side then doubled their advantage on 23 minutes as Blake crossed the ball in from the right and Shaw was on hand to knock the ball into the net.

Saints continued to try and find a way back into the match and just before the half hour mark Jamie Docherty saw his strike go inches over.

Hibs then got a third goal on 32 minutes as Shaw did well to get away from his marker and the striker unleashed a strike at goal which beat McKenzie at his near post.

With 5 minutes of the first half remaining Hibs came very close to a fourth goal as good play by Innes Murray setup Shaw who couldn’t keep his effort on target.

Saints got the second half underway and they created a chance on 49 minutes as Cameron Lumsden’s deflected cross picked out Daniel Jardine at the back post but the midfielder couldn’t keep his header on target.

Despite the early promise shown by Saints at the start of the second half Hibs scored a fourth goal on 61 minutes as Shaw latched onto a through ball by Blake before hitting a low shot beyond McKenzie and into the corner of the net to complete his hat-trick.

It got even worse for the young Saints 3 minutes later as after a scramble in the box which saw Hibs hit the bar, the ball fell to Adam Watson who calmly despatched it into the net.

Saints then made their first change of the game on 66 minutes as Sean Struthers came on for John Robertson.

A good spell of pressure for Saints on 73 minutes saw Jamie Docherty have a strike at goal which was turned behind for a corner from which Ally McCann came agonisingly close to pulling a goal back as his strike hit the post.

Hibs came very close to a sixth goal with 5 minutes remaining as Watson’s strike at goal was deflected for a corner from which McKenzie saved a header from Josh Campbell. Overall, it was a very disappointing afternoon for the young Saints.

Hibernian U20s: Dabrowski, Blake (O’Connor 86), Crane (Gallantes 79), Campbell, Waugh, Stirling, Watson, Martin, Shaw, Murray (Donaldson 69), Gullan

Unused Substitutes: Martin (GK), Mackie, Paton

Booked: Murray

Scorers: Gullan (10), Shaw (23, 32, 61), Watson (64)

Saints U20s: McKenzie, Lumsden, Thomson, McCann, Wilson (Quigley 69), Brian, O’Reilly, Ballantyne, Robertson (Struthers 66), Jardine (Donald 79), Docherty

Unused Substitutes: Sinclair (GK)

Booked: McCann

Referee: Duncan Williams

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Jamie Docherty