Motherwell U20s 0-0 Saints U20s

Wednesday 1st November

Saints earned a point against Stephen Craigan’s Motherwell in Stirling this evening. The first half was a rather quite affair with neither side creating much in the way of goal opportunities.

The second half was a much more open contest with both sides looking more lively in front of goal. The best chance of the match fell to Saints with 5 minutes remaining as Jamie Docherty knocked down a Euan O’Reilly cross to Kyle McClean but the Northern Ireland U21 Internationalist miscued his strike and the ball went agonisingly wide.


Saints travelled to Stirling this evening for a Development League game against Motherwell at Forthbank Stadium. Alex Cleland made five changes to the side that started the 2-1 win against Dundee United in the SFA Youth Cup 3 days ago as Ross Sinclair, Ally McCann, Euan O’Reilly, Cameron Ballantyne and Jamie Docherty all dropped to the bench to be replaced by Ben Mackenzie, Daniel Jardine, Craig Thomson, Denny Johnstone and Callum Hendry.

Motherwell got the match underway but it was Saints who created the first chance of the match in the first minute as Denny Johnstone got on the end of a decent cross into the box but the striker headed wide of the mark.

It was a scrappy start to the match with neither side creating anything of significance to trouble either keeper. Then on 25 minutes Motherwell created a chance to break the deadlock as Liam Grimshaw and Ross MacLean linked up on the right before the latter crossed the ball into the Saints box. The cross picked out Deimantas Petravičius but the striker headed inches over.

Craig Thomson went on a good run down the right before cutting inside on 37 minutes. The midfielder then did well to hold off the challenge of a couple of Well players before setting up Johnstone who fired well over from the edge of the area.

Motherwell were then forced to make a substitution on as Shaun Bowers came on for the injured Liam Brown.

Then just before half time Craig Thomson saw his 35-yard strike go well over Peter Morrison’s goal.

Saints made a change at the start of the second half as Euan O’Reilly came on for Denny Johnstone. Saints created a decent chance 3 minutes into the second half as Kyle McClean ran into the box before cutting the ball back to Shaun Struthers but the effort from the striker went inches wide.

The next chance of the match came on 56 minutes as MacLean’s cross into the Saints box was deflected behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Ben Mackenzie made a great save on 62 minutes as he tipped over a David Turnbull shot. Then on 73 minutes Petravičius found space 10 yards out but his shot went well over. 2 minutes later Petravičius turned provider as his deep cross picked out Bowers at the back post who headed wide of the target.

The second half was a more open affair and on 78 minutes Ben Quigley had a shot at goal after some good build up play by substitute Jamie Docherty. Then 2 minutes later a cross from the right by O’Reilly almost caught out Morrison as the ball drifted wide.

Docherty had a shot on 82 minutes that went well wide. Then with 5 minutes remaining Saints really should have taken the lead as O’Reilly’s cross from the right was knocked down by Docherty to McClean but the Northern Ireland U21 Internationalist miscued and his shot went inches wide.

Both sides continued to press in the final few minutes and Saints got one final chance to snatch all three points on 87 minutes as Docherty had another shot at goal but the midfielder’s effort went well wide of the target.

Motherwell U20s: Morrison, Grimshaw, Livingstone, Armstrong, Maguire, Hammell, MacLean, Turnbull, Fisher (Scott 74), Petravičius (Falconer 83), Brown (Bowers 39)

Unused Substitutes: MacDonald, Agyeman, Semple

Booked: None

Saints U20s: Mackenzie, Lumsden, Cameron Thomson, Jardine, Wilson, Quigley, Craig Thomson (Docherty 69), McClean, Johnstone (O’Reilly 45), Hendry (McCann 64), Struthers

Unused Substitutes: Sinclair (GK), Ballantyne, Brian, Robertson

Booked: Hendry

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Jamie Docherty advances with the ball