Saints 0-0 Motherwell

Saturday 7th April

It was honours even between Saints and Motherwell at McDiarmid Park this afternoon.

Saints created the better of the chances during the first half with the best of the chances falling to Murray Davidson whose effort went inches wide.

The start of the second half saw Motherwell keeper Trevor Carson make a good to save to deny David Wotherspoon.

Then late on the visitors tried to grab all three points with a late winner as Steven Anderson cleared a Liam Grimshaw effort off the line.

The result today means both teams remain level on 38 points in seventh and eighth place going into the Scottish Premiership split.


Saints faced Motherwell in the last game before the league split at McDiarmid Park. Following last Saturday’s defeat to Aberdeen at Pittodrie, Tommy Wright made 3 changes, bringing in Richard Foster, George Williams and Steven MacLean in for the injured Blair Alston, Liam Craig and Chris Millar.

Motherwell got the first half underway. On 19 minutes the first real chance of the game fell to Saints, George Williams from a midfield position put a great ball into the box that fell just before Steven McLean who latched into it but his touch wasn’t enough as Trevor Carson collect.

A great ball from Williams on the right found an advancing Chris Kane, in the middle of the box, he unleashed a shot that hit the post but referee Willie Collum pulled play back as the linesman had flagged.

Saints continued to press and some great passing play from David Wotherspoon and Richard Foster around the box found Kane but the ball had too much pace and ran through to Carson in goal.

On 44 minutes Murray Davidson tried his luck from just outside the penalty area but it flew just wide.

Saints got the second half started and they created a great chance only a few minutes into the second half as Scott Tanser found David Wotherspoon waiting in the box, his powerful side footed shot was blocked by Carson before being cleared by the Motherwell defence.

On 78 minutes a ball across the face of the visitor’s goal made its way to Foster, he took a touch on his chest but his half volley was blasted well over.

In the closing stages of the match a Liam Grimshaw shot was blocked on the line by Steven Anderson as the visitors tried to snatch a late winner.

The game ended goalless, with Saints dominating the ball and disappointingly sharing the points with the Lanarkshire side.

Saints: Mannus, Tanser, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Davidson, MacLean, Wotherspoon, Williams (Willock, 70), Kerr, Foster, Kane (Johnstone, 86)

Unused Substitutes: Hurst (GK), Millar, McClean, Watson, Gordon

Booked: Foster, Davidson

Motherwell: Carson, Main (Newell, 63), Tait, Aldred, Kipré, Maguire (Rose, 73), Frear (Cadden, 63), McHugh, Grimshaw, Bigirimana, Bowman.

Subs: Griffiths (GK), Hendrie, Petravičius, MacLean

Booked: Kipré, Rose

Referee: Willie Collum

Attendance: 2,409

Match report by Hannah Klatschak

Picture: Richard Foster made his first start since tearing his hamstring against Celtic back in February