Saints 1-1 Partick Thistle

Saturday 28th April

Saints and Partick Thistle fought out a 1-1 draw at McDiarmid Park this afternoon.

Saints took the lead on 39 minutes when captain Joe Shaughnessy despatched a well-placed downward header past Tomas Cerny from a Liam Craig cross.

However, the visitors were awarded a penalty with 2 minutes of normal time remaining after Ryan Edwards had been brought down in the box by Liam Craig. Substitute Connor Sammon took the penalty and he sent Zander Clark the wrong way to rescue a point for the Jags.

Although Saints will be disappointed to not win today’s game the point does ensure that they will be playing top flight football next season, their tenth consecutive season in the top flight of Scottish football.


Saints had their penultimate home game of the season this afternoon when they welcomed Partick Thistle to McDiarmid Park. After last Saturday’s last minute defeat to Dundee Tommy Wright made one change to the starting line-up, bringing in David Wotherspoon for Chris Millar.

Before the match got underway there was a minutes applause for the late John Lambie who sadly passed away a few weeks ago.

Partick Thistle got the game underway. After a scrappy first 12 minutes, a free kick from Partick Thistle saw Saints breaking at pace with Matty Willock bursting forward. Willock sprinted down the left-hand side and cut in on his right but his deflected attempt from outside the box was gathered by Tomás Cerny.

Saints were starting to settle into the game and after a misjudged header from a Partick defender, Richard Foster found himself collecting the ball at the byline, his cut back found David Wotherspoon but his shot was blocked and Thistle cleared their lines.

Saints began to pile on the pressure, a corner from Willock found Joe Shaughnessy at the back post however, the captain’s downward header was blocked by the Thistle back line and was cleared. It remained 0-0.

Saints’ persistence finally paid off, after a free kick from Willock, the ball was cleared. Wotherspoon floated another ball in and it looked to be heading out but Liam Craig’s tenacity to keep the ball in worked and his delivery found Shaughnessy whose downward header fired Saints 1-0 up.

With almost an hour on the clock Partick Thistle created their first real chance of the second half as a ball from the left found Chris Erskine in space in the penalty area and his first-time volley was struck well but Zander Clark easily held.

Saints were on top for large periods of the game and a great ball across the park from Willock found Richard Foster. The defender delivered his first-time cross into the box picking out George Williams, who turned and got a powerful shot away but Cerny was able to hold.

The visitors were still a threat and with 2 minutes remaining Liam Craig brought down Ryan Edwards in the penalty area and referee Alan Muir pointed to the spot. Substitute Connor Sammon stepped up and converted to make it 1-1, sending Clark the wrong way.

A disappointing end to the game with a late equaliser for the Jags after a game that Saints dominated. The point means that Saints are safe of any relegation worries and confirms that next season will be their tenth consecutive season in the top flight of Scottish Football.

Saints: Clark, Tanser, Shaughnessy, Anderson, MacLean, Wotherspoon, Williams (Robertson 84), Kerr, Foster, Craig, Willock

Unused Substitutes: Mannus (GK), McMillan, McClean, Watson, Gordon, McCann

Booked: MacLean, Robertson and Craig

Scorer: Shaughnessy (39)

Partick Thistle: Cerny, Booth (McGinn 70), Cargill, Keown, Spittal, Doolan, Erskine, Lawless (Sammon 52), Elliott, McCarthy (Edwards 64), Woods

Unused Substitutes: Scully (GK), Osman, Barton, Storey

Booked: Keown, Woods, Elliott

Scorer: Sammon (89 pen)

Referee: Alan Muir

Attendance: 2,925

Match Report by Hannah Klatschak

Picture: Joe Shaughnessy heads Saints into the lead