Saints 1-3 Partick Thistle

Saturday 27th January

Saints first competitive game of 2018 got off to a disappointing start at McDiarmid Park this afternoon with Partick Thistle running out 3-1 winners.

The Jags took the lead on 13 minutes when Steven Lawless converted a Miles Story cross from the left-hand side. Connor Sammon then doubled Partick’s lead on 64 minutes.

Saints though replied through Liam Craig’s penalty after debutant David McMillan had been fouled by Tomas Cerny.

However, deep into stoppage time Ryan Edwards secured all 3 points for Alan Archibald’s side when he ran the half the length of the pitch and calmly slotted the ball under Zander Clark.


Saints first competitive game of the calendar year came a week later than anticipated with the Scottish Cup game at Albion Rovers postponed due to the wintery weather. Partick Thistle made the trip to Perth and Tommy Wright made 4 to changes to the team who were beaten in late December against Dundee, bringing in Chris Millar, Steven MacLean, Keith Watson and Liam Craig for Richard Foster, Murray Davidson, the departed Michael O’Halloran and Blair Alston. However, Saints were forced into a late change as Aaron Comrie came in for Scott Tanser who pulled up in the warm up. Liam Gordon took Comrie’s place on the bench.

Partick Thistle got the game underway and after 2 minutes the visitors nearly took the lead when a Chris Erskine low ball from the left travelled right in front of goal with the touch from Miles Storey going just wide.

Then up the other end there was a scramble in the box following a free kick and the ball eventually fell to Stefan Scougall whose final effort from 6 yards out was caught in the air by Tomas Cerny.

With 13 minutes gone Partick took the lead. Miles Storey managed to hold off Keith Watson and played a ball into the box to Steven Lawless who side-foot high into the right corner of the net.

David Wotherspoon thought he had levelled the game when he had the ball in the net just 2 minutes later with a curling free kick from the left. However, the referee Gavin Duncan spotted a push in the box and disallowed the goal.

On 39 minutes Conor Sammon came close to doubling the Jags lead, his shot inside the box went just wide.

Saints got the second half underway and new signing David McMillan was handed his debut on the 57th minute alongside striker Chris Kane who was back at the club after having a loan spell at Queen of the South for the first half of the season.

McMillan almost had an immediate impact when his effort was tipped around the post by Cerny. The resulting corner came to nothing.

On 64 minutes Conor Sammon doubled Patrick’s lead when substitute Ryan Edwards ran through on goal before squaring to Sammon who bundled in the ball past Zander Clark from 6 yards out.

On 70 minutes Saints were awarded a penalty when McMillan was clattered to the ground by Cerny. After McMillan, had received lengthy treatment on the pitch Liam Craig stepped up to coolly slot the ball into the bottom right hand corner and hand Saints a lifeline.

Saints continued to put pressure on the Thistle defence and Chris Kane did well to hold off his marker just outside the box before firing a shot at goal that went just wide of the target.

However, deep into the 5 minutes of stoppage time Ryan Edwards finished the game off as a contest after a quick counter attack. The midfielder broke forward and was one on one with Clark and he slotted the ball under the Saints keeper to secure the 3 points for the Glasgow side.

Saints: Clark, Comrie, Shaughnessy, Anderson, Millar, MacLean (McMillan 57) (Alston 78), Wotherspoon, Johnstone (Kane 57), Scougall, Watson, Craig

Unused Substitutes: Mannus (GK), Kerr, Gordon, McClean

Booked: MacLean, Shaughnessy

Scorer: Craig (74 pen)

Partick Thistle: Cerny, Booth, Cargill, Keown, Osman, Erskine (Edwards 62), Lawless (Barton 83), McGinn, Samson, Woods, Storey

Unused Substitutes: Scully (GK), Dumbuya, Spittal, Doolan, Devine

Booked: Cerny

Scorers: Lawless (13), Sammon (64), Edwards (90)

Referee: Gavin Duncan

Attendance: 2,848

Match Report by Hannah Klatschak

Picture: Liam Craig converts the penalty to make it 2-1