Saints U20s 0-3 Dundee U20s

Tuesday 13th March

Saints Under 20s lost 3-0 to Dundee this evening at McDiarmid Park. After finishing the first half goalless Saints were reduced to 10 men 2 minutes into the second half when Ben Quigley was sent off for a last man challenge on Cedwyn Scott.

Dundee took the lead on 72 minutes when substitute Connor Coupe converted a Jack Lambert cross into the box.

Craig Wighton then made it 2-0 on 84 minutes as he broke away before rounding Zander Clark to slot the ball into the empty net. Then in the 90th minute Dundee got a third courtesy of a Cedwyn Scott strike.


After playing their home games at New Central Park, Kelty over the winter months Saints Under 20s returned to McDiarmid Park this evening for a Development League game against Dundee. There were several first team players included in the starting eleven for Alex Cleland’s side as Zander Clark, Keith Watson, Kyle McClean and Matty Willock were all given game time.

Saints got the match underway shooting towards the North Stand and they created the first chance of the game after 4 minutes as Kyle McClean setup Jamie Docherty who curled his effort over.

Saints then created another chance on 12 minutes as Matty Willock played the ball out wide to John Robertson and the young striker cut the ball back to Ally McCann but his strike was saved by Calum Ferrie.

On 15 minutes Dundee created a chance when Randy Wolters burst forward before having a shot which was saved by Zander Clark. Play then very quickly switched to the other end as Robertson jinked into the box before having a shot which went inches wide.

Saints created another chance on 22 minutes. McCann played a through ball to Willock and the on-loan Manchester United midfielder slipped the ball to Docherty who had a shot at goal which was blocked by Jordan Piggott. Then a minute later Saints were awarded a free kick after Docherty had been fouled by Dan Jeffries. The free kick was taken by Kyle McClean however, his delivery into the box was gathered by Ferrie.

The visitors were then forced to make a change as Brian Rice came on for the injured Kerr Waddell.

On the half hour mark Faisal El Bakhtaoui delivered a good cross into the box which picked out Cedwyn Scott whose header was pushed behind for a corner by Clark. Then a minute later Dundee were claiming for a penalty as Scott went down in the box under the challenge from Keith Watson however, referee Chris Fordyce waved play on.

Dundee were coming more into the game and on 34 minutes Callum Moore played a one-two with Wolters before having a shot that was deflected for a corner which came to nothing.

Then with 2 minutes of the first half remaining Craig Wighton had a shot which was saved by Clark.

Saints made a change at the start of the second half as Cameron Ballantyne came on for Matty Willock.

Saints were reduced to ten men 2 minutes into the second half as Ben Quigley was sent off for a last man challenge on Scott. Saints then shuffled the pack as Cameron Lumsden came on for John Robertson.

With the man advantage Dundee took the game to Saints and on 59 minutes Clark made a great save to keep out a Scott header. Then a minute later Wighton’s shot was touched behind for a corner by the Saints keeper.

Saints made their final change on 71 minutes as Jamie MacKenzie came on for Keith Watson. However, a minute later Saints were behind when a Wolters free kick found Jack Lambert on the touchline and he advanced with the ball before crossing it into the box to Connor Coupe who converted at the near post.

Saints though almost had an immediate response as they broke forward and Ballantyne saw his angled shot go inches wide.

Dundee though continued to press and with 6 minutes remaining they secured the 3 points. The ball was played through to Wighton, the striker did well to get away from Lumsden before rounding Clark and slotting the ball into the empty net.

The scoring was not over as the visitors grab a third as the match entered added on time. A long ball was play forward and it picked out Scott who broke at pace getting away from Jack Wilson before coolly slotting past Clark.

Saints U20s: Clark, Watson (MacKenzie 71), Thomson, McCann, Wilson, Quigley, Robertson (Lumsden 50), McClean, Struthers, Willock (Ballantyne 45), Docherty

Unused Substitutes: Sinclair (GK), Brian, Wooley, Green

Booked: None

Sent Off: Quigley

Dundee U20s: Ferrie, Piggott, Holt (Coupe 66), Jefferies, Waddell (Rice 24), Moore, El Bakhtaoui (Anderson 83), Lambert, Scott, Wighton, Wolters

Unused Substitutes: Mooney

Booked: None

Scorers: Coupe (72), Wighton (84), Scott (90)

Referee: Chris Fordyce

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Cameron Ballantyne