Saints U20's 3-2 Dundee United U20's

Tuesday 4th April

A very young Saints Development side defeated Tayside rivals Dundee United 3-2 in an exciting encounter at McDiarmid Park on Monday evening.


Saints headed into their SPFL Development League tie with Dundee United looking to bounce back from last week’s defeat away to Hibernian, back on home soil.

Saints kicked off, shooting into the North Stand, but it was United who carved out the first chance as Coll Donaldson hooked a corner over from close range inside three minutes, when perhaps a striker would have found the net.

However, United did take the lead on eight minutes, as Lewis Toshney delivered a low cross which was converted by Garden. 0-1.

Saints looked to bounce back, and Connor McLaren showed fantastic composure in the box to control a McCann chipped pass before dragging his effort into the side netting.

Cameron Lumsden was next to come close, Volleying over after a well-worked McLaren free kick.

But Saints were level on the half hour mark as Alistair McCann prodded a dangerous free kick home from six yards. 1-1.

And moments later, McCann setup Saints’ second as his pressure in the box caused a slip in the United defence and Greg Hurst lashed home the loose ball. 2-1.

Hurst was on the scoresheet again before halftime, and after being kicked in the face at a corner, the striker on loan at Berwick Rangers converted with a cool head, sending Long the wrong way. 3-1.

And the referee blew for half time at that, with Saints completing a fantastic first half comeback, and would be looking to build on their dominance in the second spell. Half time: St Johnston 3-1 Dundee United.

United got the second half underway, after replacing van der Struijke with Hornby at half time.

Saints switched Wilson for Johnson on the hour mark, as they held onto heir lead comfortably.

Dundee United clawed a goal back with just over 20 minutes to go as Scott Allardyce rifled home a long range effort. 3-2.

Saints made their second change, switching Jamie McKenzie for Paul Simpson, as Dundee United brought on Appere and Chalmers for Garden and McMeekin.

Saints final change was to bring on Oliver Hamilton for Jamie Docherty with just over ten minutes still on the clock.

A brilliant late counter attack saw substitute Hamilton almost poke home a McLaren cross, but his stretching leg couldn’t quite reach the low ball in.

United pressed in the later stages, but McKenzie and his back four matched every effort.

And it finished 3-2 to the hosts, as Saints walked off thoroughly deserving of their win.

Saints: McKenzie, Lumsden, McCann, Wilson (Johnson, 60), Kerr, Comrie, McLaren, Jardine, Hurst, Docherty (Hamilton, 78), Simpson (McKenzie, 69). Unused subs: Sinclair, Donald, Wooley, Brian.

Goals: McCann (30), Hurst (33, 44)

Dundee United: Long, Toshney, Robson, Allardyce, Donaldson, van der Struijke (Hornby 46), Spittal, Wato Kuate, Garden (Chalmers, 69), McMeekin (Appere, 69), Smith. Unused subs: Reekie, Dailley, Davie, Taylor.

Goals: Garden (8), Allardyce (67)

Referee: Steven Traynor Man of the Match: Greg Hurst

Match Report by Ross Gardiner.