Rangers 3-0 Saints
First Team

Rangers 3-0 Saints

12th August 2020

Rangers 3-0 Saints

Saints slipped to a 3-0 defeat to Rangers on a warm evening at Ibrox this evening.

Despite having a promising start to the match Callum Davidson’s men would find themselves a goal down after 21 minutes courtesy of a Borna Barišić free kick.

Then just before half time the hosts got a second as Ryan Kent converted a Barišić cross. The game was over as a contest early in the second half as Joe Aribo headed home Rangers third of the evening.

Both sides made changes during the second half and with Isaac Olaofe and John Robertson looking bright for Saints however, they couldn’t get a consolation as Rangers comfortably saw the game out.

Next up for Saints is a trip to Kilmarnock on Saturday, kick off 3pm.


Following the postponement of Saturday’s match at home to Aberdeen Saints were back on the road this evening as they made the trip to the Glasgow for a match against Rangers. Callum Davison made one change to the side that started against Dundee United eleven days ago as Craig Conway came in for his first start for Saints, replacing the suspended Michael O’Halloran. It was also a special evening for Liam Craig who was making his 400th appearance for Saints. Alfredo Morelos scored twice on Sunday as Rangers ran out 3-0 winners against St Mirren and Steven Gerrard decided to go with the same starting eleven that defeated The Buddies for this evening’s match.

It was a warm summers evening in Glasgow as Ali McCann got the match underway for Saints and it was the Perth side who would create the first opening of the match after 5 minutes. A good ball forward by David Wotherspoon was collected by Callum Hendry. The striker then ran at Leon Balogun, twisting and turning, before having a strike at goal which Jon McLaughlin got down well to with a strong right-hand to save the effort before the loose ball was cleared by the Rangers defence.

The hosts then started to come into the match and on 14 minutes Alfredo Morelos setup Ryan Kent who tried a shot from distance but it didn’t trouble Elliott Parish.

Then on 20 minutes Rangers were awarded a free kick just outside the box as Morelos was fouled by Wotherspoon. Both Ianis Hagi and Borna Barišić stood over the ball and it was the later who would take the free kick and the Croatian defender sent a great left-foot curling free kick over the wall and it ended up in the top corner of the net, giving Parish no chance.

Now with the advantage Rangers went on search of a second and on 29 minutes James Tavernier setup Morelos however, his left footed effort went high over Parish’s goal. Then 3 minutes later The Light Blues had another shot at goal but again it went wide of the Saints goal.

The first booking of the game came on 37 minutes as Jamie McCart ended up in referee’s Euan Anderson’s book for a poor challenge on Hagi.

Despite the promising start by Saints they would suffer a further setback deep into added on time at the end of the first half as Rangers doubled their advantage. The Govan side advanced forward with the ball as Hagi sent it out wide to the left to Barišić. The Croatian internationalist then sent an inviting ball into the Saints box, picking out Kent, who converted his left-footed effort from 14 yards which ended up in the bottom right corner of the net.

Before the second half got underway Rangers made a change as Filip Helander came on to replace Leon Balogun.

3 minutes into the second half Parish made a good save as he turned Morelos’ effort behind. However, from the resultant corner Rangers would get a third as Joe Aribo headed home Tavernier’s delivery from close range.

Then shortly after Rangers created another chance as Helander got his head to Barišić cross but his header drifted past the post.

Both sides then made a couple of changes as Saints gave debuts to both Isaac Olaofe and Sean Rooney as they replaced Liam Craig and Craig Conway. Then shortly after Olaofe almost made a good start to his Saints career as a good ball forward saw him race towards goal but Helander managed to get back to turn the ball behind for a corner. It was taken by Wotherspoon and his delivery picked out Danny McNamara at the edge of the box but his strike was blocked by Cedric Itten.

The final 15 minutes saw Saints introduce a couple of more changes as Scott Tanser and John Robertson came on for Callum Booth and Callum Hendry respectively. The changes seemed to give Saints a boost as they saw more of the ball and space in the closing period that had been lacking earlier in the match.

With 9 minutes remaining substitute Olaofe got a great chance to pull a goal back for Saints however, his header from a McNamara cross was straight at McLaughlin who did well to save from point-blank range. Then shortly after Wotherspoon did well to pick out Robertson in the box but again Helander got back to cut out the danger.

The final chances of the match came for the home side as Parish produced a good save with his feet to deny Kemar Roofe on 85 minutes and then in added on time Hagi saw his effort hit the side netting.

Rangers: McLaughlin, Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun (Helander 45), Barisic, Kamara, Jack (Roofe 61), Aribo (Arfield 61), Hagi, Kent (Davies 60), Morelos (Itten 61)

Unused Substitutes: Firth (GK), Bassey, Patterson, Barker

Booked: None

Scorers: Barišić (21), Kent (45), Aribo (49)

Saints: Parish, Kerr, Gordon, McCart, McNamara, Booth (Tanser 76), McCann, Craig (Rooney 63), Wotherspoon, Conway (Olaofe 63), Hendry (Robertson 76)

Unused Substitutes: Sinclair (GK), Duffy, Ballantyne

Booked: McCart, Gordon

Referee: Euan Anderson

Attendance: BCD

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Isaac Olaofe is tackled by Filip Helander

Back to News
Share on Social