Saints 7-0 Brechin City
First Team

Saints 7-0 Brechin City

10th October 2020

Saints 7-0 Brechin City

Stevie May scored a hat-trick as Saints comfortably defeated Brechin City 7-0 in the Betfred Cup at McDiarmid Park this afternoon.

The first goal of the game came after 3 minutes as May converted from close range. Saints were dominating the game and created numerous chances and David Wotherspoon scored Saints second goal of the game on 25 minutes.

Wotherspoon got his second and Saints third on 56 minutes and then 2 minutes May made it 4-0 as he took advantage of poor defending by the hosts.

The goals continued to flow and May completed his hat-trick just after the hour mark as he sent a low shot through the legs of City keeper Lewis McMinn.

Substitute Callum Hendry scored Saints sixth of the afternoon from the penalty spot with 2 minutes remaining. Then in stoppage time Saints got a seventh goal thanks to a Murray Davidson header.

Next up for Saints is a trip to Hamilton Accies next Saturday for a Scottish Premiership match, kick off 3pm.


Saints welcomed League Two side Brechin City to McDiarmid Park today for a Betfred Cup Group C match. After Wednesday’s 2-1 win at Kelty Hearts Callum Davidson made five changes to the starting eleven for this afternoon’s game. In came Zander Clark, Jamie McCart, Murray Davidson, Craig Bryson and Stevie May to replace Elliott Parish, Jason Kerr, Scott Tanser, Callum Hendry and Chris Kane, who all dropped to the bench. Brechin City had their first competitive game since March on Wednesday evening as they were defeated 6-2 by Dundee United in a Betfred Cup match at Glebe Park. City manager Mark Wilson made two changes to his side for this afternoon’s match as Jonathan Page and Martin Scott dropped out to be replaced by Ross Brown and Michael Paton.

Rory Currie got the match underway for the visitors and it was Saints who would create the first chance of the match after 30 seconds. Craig Conway played the ball in behind the Brechin defence and May ran onto it before having a shot but it was straight at Lewis McMinn in the City goal.

Saints though took the lead on 3 minutes after they had been awarded a free kick following a foul by Dave McKay on Craig Bryson, who was making his first Saints start. The free kick was floated into the box and Liam Gordon got up well to head the ball towards goal and May reacted quickest to knock it home from close range.

Shortly after May did well to win the ball on the edge of the box from Gregor Jordan but McMinn was out quick to save the shot from the Saints striker.

The one-way traffic towards the City goal continued and on 8 minutes Callum Booth broke down the left before finding May in the box but his right-footed strike was saved by McMinn.

Brechin were forced into a change on 13 minutes as the experienced Martin Scott came on to replace Leeroy Makovora after the on-loan Hearts forward had picked up an injury and was unable to continue.

Saints continued to create chances and on 23 minutes May fired an effort wide. Then 2 minutes later Saints got a second goal. Bryson did well to intercept a Brechin clearance and the midfielder then slipped the ball into the feet of May who played a neat pass to David Wotherspoon. The Canadian Internationalist took a touch before sending a lovely low shot into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Just after the half an hour mark Wotherspoon and Bryson both saw shots blocked and the loose ball again fell to Wotherspoon and he came close to his second and Saints third however, his shot hit McMinn’s left-hand post before the danger was cleared by the City rearguard. Then shortly after Conway blasted an effort over from a tight angle.

With 5 minutes of the first half remaining Conway’s effort didn’t trouble McMinn in the City goal. Then on 41 minutes Conway turned provider as his cross from the right picked out Davidson but the Saints midfielder put his header wide of the target.

It was a dominant performance by Saints and just before half time they created another opportunity as Bryson picked out Conway in the centre of the box however, his first time shot went over. Then in stoppage time Booth saw his shot hit the post and from the follow-up Bryson blasted over from 8 yards.

It had been a quiet afternoon for Zander Clark but on 53 minutes he was called into action as he comfortably gathered a Scott Cusick shot.

On 56 minutes Saints got a third goal as Shaun Rooney broke down the right and then cut the ball back to Wotherspoon who sent a low left-footed effort into the corner of the net. Then two minutes later Saints scored again as May took advantage of poor defending to slot home from close range.

May then completed his hat-trick on 62 minutes as a long ball forward by Bryson played in the Saints forward who then broke into the box before unleashing a low shot that went between McMinn’s legs and into the net for Saints fifth of the afternoon.

Saints went in search of more goals and on 64 minutes Booth went close with an effort. Then a minute later Callum Davidson made a double change as Chris Kane and Callum Hendry came on to replace Craig Bryson and Stevie May.

On 72 minutes Brechin went close as Cusick had another shot but Clark got down well to palm it away with his left hand.

With 15 minutes remaining Saints made a change as 17-year-old Alex Ferguson came on to make his professional debut, replacing Craig Conway.

Saints were well top and on 82 minutes Kane saw his long-range shot palmed away by McMinn. Then with 4 minutes remaining Davidson played in Hendry but his strike went inches wide of the McMinn’s right-hand post.

On 88 minutes Saints were awarded a penalty after Davidson had been fouled in the box by Jordan. Hendry stepped up and he sent a powerful penalty high into the net for Saints sixth goal of the afternoon.

Saints then made it 7-0 in stoppage time as Booth’s cross from the left was headed home by Murray Davidson to cap a fine afternoon for Callum Davidson’s side.

Saints: Clark, Rooney, Gordon, McCart, Booth, Craig, Davidson, Bryson (Kane 65), Conway (Ferguson 75), May (Hendry 65), Wotherspoon

Unused Substitutes: Parish (GK), Kerr, Tanser, Denham

Booked: Gordon

Scorers: May (3, 58, 62), Wotherspoon (25, 56), Hendry (88 pen), Davidson (90+1)

Brechin City: McMinn, McIntosh (Bollan 70), McKay (Reekie 45), Brown, Inglis, Currie (Luissint 61), Cusick, Jordan, Makovora (Scott 13), Todd, Paton

Unused Substitutes: O’Neil (GK), Page, Nawrocki

Booked: Jordan

Referee: Craig Napier

Attendance: BCD

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Stevie May scores the first goal of the game

Back to News
Share on Social