Berwick Rangers 0-4 Saints

Tuesday 10th July

Saints won 4-0 in their final pre-season game against Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park this evening.

New signing Tony Watt opened the scoring on 8 minutes when he converted a Blair Alston corner. It was 2-0 shortly after on 11 minutes when David McMillian volleyed home.

It was a frantic start to the match and Saints found themselves 3-0 up on 16 minutes as Liam Craig slotted a good strike past Berwick keeper Sean Brennan after being setup by Watt.

Saints were cruising and they got a fourth on 68 minutes thanks to a deflected Kyle McClean shot.


Saints made the trip to Northumberland this evening for their final pre-season friendly against League Two side Berwick Rangers at Shielfield Park.

Tony Watt, who signed yesterday on a one-year-deal, started the match whilst Aaron Comrie, Liam Gordon, Ali McCann and Blair Alston also came into the starting eleven. Additionally, Tommy Wright included two trialists in his team; goalkeeper Dean Lyness and left-back Mark Russell.

The hosts got the match underway and Saints created the first chance of the game on 8 minutes when David McMillan saw his effort tipped over by Berwick keeper Sean Brennan. The resulting corner was taken by Blair Alston, and his delivery into the box found Tony Watt who headed the ball home at the near post.

Saints then doubled their advantage 3 minutes later as Watt turned provider delivering a great ball from the right which picked out McMillan in the box who volleyed home.

On 15 minutes, Berwick created a half chance as Aaron Murrell slipped the ball to Sean Murphy however, he put his effort wide of the target.

Then a minute later it was 3-0 as Watt slipped the ball into the path of Liam Craig who fired a great strike past Brennan.

After that quick fire start the game settled down. On 29 minutes Aaron Comrie did well to deflect a Murrell effort behind for a corner.

Saints went back up the other end and 2 minutes later Craig whipped over a great cross from the left picking out Watt and he brilliantly connected with the ball however, Brennan tipped the volley over for a corner.

Watt was in the thick of the action again just before half time as Drey Wright did well to turn his man before breaking into the box. The midfielder then crossed the ball across the face of goal towards Watt however, the striker couldn’t make a proper connection with the ball.

Saints made three changes at the start of the second half as our trialist goalkeeper Dean Lyness, Drey Wright and Tony Watt were replaced by Mark Hurst, Kyle McClean and Callum Hendry.

Saints created the first chance of the second half on 57 minutes as Craig’s deep cross from the left broke to Blair Alston. However, the Saints midfielder fired the ball high over Brennan’s goal.

The second half was a much quieter affair and on 67 minutes the hosts had a rare strike at goal courtesy of a Davie effort but the shot was comfortably held by Mark Hurst.

A minute later Saints got a fourth as the ball was slipped to McClean and his strike from the edge of the box took a deflection off a Berwick player to take it away from Brennan and into the back of the net.

Saints were in full control of the game and McClean was back involved in the thick of the action on 71 minutes as he did well to beat the offside trap. The youngster couldn't convert the chance though and Brennan was equal to his effort. A minute later and McClean found himself in another one-on-one with the Berwick keeper but Brennan stood up well as the midfielder fired wide.

Despite being 4-0 down Berwick still had fight in them and with 10 minutes remaining Sean Murphy did well to hold off the challenge from several Saints players before getting a shot away that went inches wide of Hurst’s left-hand post.

In the final few minutes of the match, Saints created a good chance to grab a fifth as Ali McCann’s cross was deflected for a corner. The corner was whipped in by McClean and Callum Hendry rose to head the ball towards goal, however his effort crashed off the bar.

Overall, it was a good workout for Saints as they now look to get their season underway on Saturday when they welcome East Fife to McDiarmid Park for a Betfred League Cup tie.

Berwick Rangers: Brennan, Fleming (Cook 45), Orru, Wilson, Todd, Chapman (Davie 45), Lavery (Trialist 68), Murrell (Trialist 59), Willis, Murphy, Healy (Trialist 68)

Unused Substitutes: Adams (GK)

Saints: Trialist (Hurst 45), Comrie, Trialist, Gordon, Kerr, Wright (McClean 45), McCann, Alston, Craig, Watt (Hendry 45), McMillan (Ballantyne 64)

Unused Substitutes: Tanser, Wotherspoon, Scougall, Quigley

Scorers: Watt (8), McMillan (11), Craig (16), McClean (68)

Referee: Gavin Ross

Picture: Tony Watt celebrates his goal

Match Report by Daryl Scott