Dundee United 2-2 Saints

Tuesday 12th January 2021

For the third game in a row Saints had to settle for a point as they battled out a 2-2 draw against Dundee United this evening in an entertaining game at Tannadice.

The hosts took the lead on 9 minutes as Louis Appéré knocked the ball home from close range after some good work by Lawrence Shankland and Nicky Clark.

However, United’s lead didn’t last for long as Guy Melamed scored his first goal for the club on 16 minutes. The Israeli striker did well to lose his man to head home a David Wotherspoon corner.

Chris Kane, who was making his 150th Scottish Premiership appearance for Saints this evening, then had Saints 2-1 up on 38 minutes as he glanced home a Wotherspoon cross.

However, Lawrence Shankland had the Tannadice side back on level terms on 53 minutes as his shot from just past the halfway line sailed over Zander Clark and into the net. It was a stunning goal from the Scotland internationalist to ensure his side got a share of the spoils.

Next up for Saints is a home game against St Mirren on Saturday, kick off 3pm.


After Saturday’s match at Dundee United was postponed due to a frozen pitch at Tannadice Saints were back in action this evening as they made the short trip along the A90 to Dundee for the rearranged Scottish Premiership fixture. Saints got a point against Ross County in Dingwall in their last game ten days ago and Callum Davidson made three changes to his team this evening. Out went Craig Conway, Michael O’Halloran, who was suspended this evening, and Danny McNamara, who has now returned to his parent club Millwall after he had been recalled by the English Championship side. They were replaced by Liam Craig, David Wotherspoon and Guy Melamed. Dundee United also got a point in their last match as they battled out a goalless draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie and manager Micky Mellon made on change to his side this evening. Dillion Powers came into the starting eleven to replace Peter Pawlett who dropped to the bench.

Prior to the match getting underway there was a minute’s applause in memory of legendary former Dundee United manager Jim McLean.

Murray Davidson got the match underway for Saints and the midfielder threatened early on for the visitors. Chris Kane sent an inviting ball into the back post on 6 minutes and the midfielder was able to get an outstretched leg to the cross however, he couldn’t direct the ball towards goal as United cleared the danger.

However, 3 minutes later Saints would find themselves a goal down. Nicky Clark played a neat one-two with Lawrence Shankland as the forward broke into the Saints box and drove to the byline before cutting the ball back to Louis Appéré who slotted the ball home from close range.

Saints though were not behind for long and they got an equaliser on 16 minutes. Murray Davidson saw his shot at goal turned behind for a corner by Mark Reynolds. David Wotherspoon took the corner and his delivery into the United box from the right picked out Guy Melamed, who did well to lose his man before heading the ball down through Benjamin Siegrist’s legs to score his first goal for the club.

Melamed was looking bright up front for Saints and 3 minutes later the Israeli striker had another shot at goal but his effort was straight at Siegrist who comfortably gathered.

The goal gave Saints confidence however, the hosts were able to weather the storm and they started to come back into the match. On 24 minutes United created a great chance to regain the lead as Clark’s deep cross into the back post picked out Shankland but the Scotland internationalist fired well over.

It was proving to be an entertaining half and despite the hosts looking a threat going forward it was Saints who would score the next goal with 7 minutes of the first half remaining. Melamed did well to bring the ball down before passing to Wotherspoon. The Saints midfielder created space for himself on the edge of the area before sending over a delightful ball from the left which Chris Kane headed into the far corner of the net, giving Siegrist no chance. It was a great goal for the forward to mark his 150th Scottish Premiership appearance for Saints.

Saints were out of the traps quickly at the start of the second half and they forced a couple of corners in first 5 minutes of the half. From one of these corners Wotherspoon pinged a good delivery into the near post to Kane but he flicked his header over the bar.

Saints though couldn’t build on this promising start to the half as the hosts were back on level terms on 53 minutes and what a goal it was. Appéré did well to intercept a slack Callum Booth pass and the forward slipped the ball to Shankland who was out wide on the touchline on the right. The United hitman then lifted his head and saw Clark off his line so he tried to catch the Saints keeper off guard and unleashed a shot from about 50 yards which sailed over the Saints number one and into the net.

Just after the hour mark Saints created a great chance to regain the lead as Wotherspoon went on a good run into the United box as he twisted and turned before picking out Melamed whose effort was saved by the feet of Siegrist. The loose ball then broke to Ali McCann and the follow-up effort from the midfielder was blocked by Mark Connolly as United cleared their lines.

On 66 minutes Kane produced a great bit of skill down the left to get away from Connolly and the forward advanced towards the box but Connolly was able to recover and got back before fouling the Saints forward on the edge of the area. The resultant free kick was taken by Wotherspoon and he had a shot at goal but Siegrist was alert to the danger as the Swiss keeper got across his goal well to save the effort.

Saints made a double change with 12 minutes remaining as Stevie May and Scott Tanser came on to replace Chris Kane and Callum Booth. Both substitutes were very quickly involved in the action as on 80 minutes Tanser played a great pass into May and the forward cut the ball back to Wotherspoon however, he couldn’t direct his left footed effort on target.

Callum Davidson’s side continued to push for the winner and on 84 minutes they hit the Tannadice side on a quick counter attack as Murray Davidson played the ball out to May and he charged forward into the United half. May then slipped the ball into the advancing Tanser but he dragged his first-time effort wide of the target as Saints had to settle for a share of the spoils for the third game in a row.

Dundee United: Siegrist, Neilson (Bolton 55), Connolly, Reynolds, Smith, Clark, Harkes, Powers, Robson, Shankland, Appéré (McNulty 65)

Unused Substitutes: Mehmet (GK), Spörle, Pawlett, Fotheringham, Watson, Hutchinson, Smith

Booked: Connolly, McNulty, Powers

Scorers: Appéré (9), Shankland (53)

Saints: Clark, Rooney, Gordon, McCart, McCann, Craig, Davidson, Booth (Tanser 78), Wotherspoon (Conway 87) Kane (May 78), Melamed (Hendry 88)

Unused Substitutes: Parish (GK), Bryson, Denham, Ferguson

Booked: Davidson, Rooney

Scorers: Melamed (16), Kane (38)

Referee: Colin Steven

Attendance: BCD

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Chris Kane scores Saints second goal of the evening