Hibernian 0-1 Saints

Saturday 3rd November

A late header from captain Joe Shaughnessy saw Saints leave Easter Road with all 3 points today.

After a goalless first half Saints had the opportunity to break the deadlock on 66 minutes when they were awarded a penalty after substitute Danny Swanson had been fouled by Marvin Bartley. Swanson stepped to take the penalty himself but his low effort was well saved by Adam Bogdan in the home goal.

It was an entertaining game as both teams created chances as the second half progressed. Then as the match entered its final minutes Saints were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. It was taken by David Wotherspoon and his ball into the box was headed home by Shaughnessy as Saints secured a fourth win in a row and ended Hibs 11-month unbeaten home record.

Today’s result sees Saints move up to fifth in the Ladbrokes Premiership with 20 points. Next up for Saints is a home game against Hamilton Accies next Saturday.


Saints were back on the road today after Wednesday’s 1-0 win at Livingston as they headed to Leith to take on Neil Lennon’s Hibernian. Tommy Wright made three changes to the side that started at the Tony Macaroni Arena as Murray Davison, David Wotherspoon and Liam Gordon dropped out. They were replaced by Drey Wright, Ross Callachan and Tristan Nydam, who was making his first start for Saints after joining on loan from Ipswich Town back in August. Neil Lennon made three changes to the Hibs side that drew 0-0 with Hearts in midweek. Out went Darren McGregor, Vykintas Slivka and Florian Kamberi and they were replaced by Daryl Horgan, Jamie MacLaren and Emerson Hyndman.

Saints got the match underway at a mild but windy Easter Road and they very quickly created the first chance of the match. Matty Kennedy’s cross from the right on 2 minutes picked out Tony Watt at the back post however, Hibs keeper Adam Bogdan was quick off his line to smother the ball at the feet of the Saints striker.

A spell of good passing football on 8 minutes saw Emerson Hyndman pick out Martin Boyle who unleashed a shot from the edge of the area however, his effort didn’t trouble Zander Clark in the Saints goal.

On 13 minutes a long ball forward by Joe Shaughnessy was knocked down by Drey Wright to Watt and the Saints striker had a shot at goal which was deflected for corner. Kennedy’s corner picked out an unmarked Tristan Nydam on the edge of the box and the young midfielder unleashed a fantastic shot that crashed off the crossbar.

Saints threatened again on 22 minutes as Wright’s ball from the right to Kennedy was blocked however, the midfielder was able to get another cross into the box this time picking out Nydam whose header went just wide of the target.

On the half an hour mark Saints earned themselves another free kick in a promising position after Watt had been fouled by Mark Milligan. Liam Craig took the free kick however, his delivery into the box was headed behind for a corner by Lewis Stevenson which came to nothing.

Tony Watt was causing problems for the Hibs defence and he won another free kick out on the right on 33 minutes after he had been fouled by Marvin Bentley. It was again taken by Craig but Bogdan came off his line to punch the ball clear as the hosts cleared the danger.

2 minutes later Hibs created a chance as a good pass by Jamie MacLaren slipped in Boyle but Jason Kerr got back to clear the danger.

With 5 minutes of the first half remaining Clark comfortably gathered a MacLaren header after the striker had connected with a Stevenson cross.

On 47 minutes Saints came very close to opening scoring as Wright did well to beat his man on the right before sending over a delightful ball that picked out Watt whose diving header went wide of Bogdan’s right-hand post.

The hosts then burst into life as Zander Clark produced a brilliant save on 57 minutes, pushing a thunderous 20 yard Boyle shot over for a corner. Then a minute later Clark made another good save, this time getting down well to turned a Stevie Mallan long range drive behind for a corner.

Saints made their first change of the game on 64 minutes as Danny Swanson replaced Matty Kennedy. It wasn’t long until the Saints midfielder was involved in the action as he won Saints a penalty 2 minutes later after he was fouled by Marvin Bartley. Swanson stepped up to take the penalty himself however he saw his effort saved by Bogdan who got down well to his right.

It was an open and entertaining game with both teams were creating chances. On 81 minutes a low effort from Ross Callachan was well held by Bogdan. Then up the other end MacLaren rose well to connect with a Stevenson cross from the left however, his effort land on the roof of Clark’s net.

The break through finally came with a minute of normal time remaining as Saints were awarded a free kick just outside the box following a foul on Chris Kane by Darren McGregor. The free kick was taken by David Wotherspoon and he floated the ball into the box and Joe Shaughnessy was able to get a head to it to send it past Bogdan much to the delight of the 576 Saints fans in the stand behind the goal.

Hibernian: Bogdan, Whittaker (McGregor 69), Milligan, Bartley, Horgan (Shaw 78), MacLaren, Boyle, Mallan, Stevenson, Hyndman (Slivka 69), Ambrose

Unused Substitutes: Marciano (GK), Mavrias, Porteous, Gullan

Booked: Stevenson, Bartley, McGregor

Saints: Clark, Tanser, Shaughnessy, Wright, Kerr, Nydam (Wotherspoon 69), Foster, Craig, Callachan, Watt (Kane 78), Kennedy (Swanson 64)

Unused Substitutes: Hurst (GK), McMillan, McCann, Gordon

Booked: None

Scorer: Shaughnessy (89)

Referee: Nick Walsh

Attendance: 17,307 (576 Saints fans)

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Tristan Nydam’s strike hits the crossbar