Motherwell 0-1 Saints

Saturday 20th October

A stoppage-time goal from defender Jason Kerr saw Saints secure the 3 points against Motherwell this afternoon.

The game was a tight affair with a Tony Watt effort on 14 minutes which was saved by Well keeper Trevor Carson was Saints best chance of the first half.

Whilst for the hosts Chris Cadden and Curtis Main squandered good chances either side of half time.

It had looked like that the game would end in a draw however, deep into stoppage time Jason Kerr popped up to nod a Liam Craig corner past Trevor Carson to win the match for Saints.

Today’s result means Saints are in eighth in the league with 11 points. Next up is a home game against St Mirren next Saturday.


After having a free weekend last week due to the international break Saints returned to action this afternoon when they travelled to North Lanarkshire to take on Motherwell. Tommy Wright made four changes to the side that lost to Celtic last time out as Liam Gordon, Murray Davidson, Liam Craig and Tony Watt came in for Blair Alston, David Wotherspoon, Ross Callachan and the suspended Danny Swanson. Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson made three changes to the team that started their 1-1 draw at home to Livingston a fortnight ago. Out went Richard Tait, Liam Donnelly and the suspended Carl McHugh to be replaced by Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Charles Dunne and David Turnbull.

The hosts got the match underway and they created the first chance of the match on 6 minutes as a fine cross from the left by Aaron Taylor-Sinclair picked out Curtis Main who headed the ball wide of the target.

Saints created a chance to break the deadlock on 13 minutes however, David McMillan’s shot didn’t trouble Well keeper Trevor Carson. However, a minute later Carson was called into action as he did well to block a Tony Watt effort after the Saints striker had got in behind Tom Aldred after being released by a neat flick on from McMillan.

Motherwell, who have still to win a league game at home this season, came very close to breaking the deadlock on 17 minutes as a David Turnbull free kick was swung into the box picking out Andy Rose whose header crash off the crossbar.

The home side were forced into an early change on 23 minutes as Richard Tait came on for Aaron Taylor-Sinclair. Then 5 minutes later Saints were also forced into an early change as David McMillan was replaced by Chris Kane.

On 38 minutes Turnbull setup Allan Campbell but his shot from 22 yards didn’t trouble Clark in the Saints goal.

With 3 minutes of the first half remaining Scott Tanser played a good ball down the left to Liam Craig. The midfielder then crossed the ball into the box picking out Kane however, his header was easily gathered by Carson.

Then on the stroke of halftime The Steelmen created a chance to go in at the break a goal up as Chris Cadden cut in from the right however, he was unable to get his effort on target.

Motherwell were presented with a great chance to open the scoring 4 minutes into the second half as Turnbull sent a good long ball over the top picking out Main. The striker took a good touch to control the ball however, Jason Kerr and Zander Clark combined to put the Englishman under pressure as lashed his effort over Clark’s goal.

Just after the hour mark Saints were awarded a free kick 25 yards out after Murray Davidson had been fouled by Ryan Bowman. The free kick was taken by Craig and he laid the ball off to Drey Wright whose long-range effort went well wide of Carson’s goal.

With 14 minutes remaining Matty Kennedy came on for Tony Watt and the midfielder was instantly involved in the action as a minute later Kennedy’s cross from the right found Craig. However, his header was easily gathered by Carson.

Both sides were pushing in the closing stages although Saints were perhaps creating the better chances. On 81 minutes Wright saw his thunderous effort from 25 yards pushed behind for a corner by Carson. Then 4 minutes later Davidson went on a surging run into the box before seeing his effort deflected for a corner.

As the match entered 3 minutes of additional time the only goal of the game came as Saints finally broke the deadlock. A Liam Craig corner from the right picked out Jason Kerr in the six-yard box and he planted a great header past Carson to secure the 3 points for Saints.

Motherwell: Carson, Taylor-Sinclair (Tait 23), Aldred, Hartley, Cadden (Frear 62), Campbell, Main (Johnson 68), Bowman, Rose, Dunne, Turnbull

Unused Substitutes: Gillespie (GK), Bigirimana, Sammon, Maguire

Booked: Bowman, Hartley

Saints: Clark, Tanser, Shaughnessy, Wright (Wotherspoon 86), Davidson, Kerr, McMillan (Kane 28), Foster, Gordon, Craig, Watt (Kennedy 76)

Unused Substitutes: Hurst (GK), Comrie, Nydam, Callachan

Booked: None

Scorer: Kerr (90)

Referee: Bobby Madden

Attendance: 3,752 (249 Saints fans)

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Jason Kerr’s header secures the three points for Saints