RESERVES | Saints 0-1 Partick

Saints Reserves fell to a disappointing defeat at McDiarmid Park this afternoon against Partick Thistle in the SPFL Reserve League.

Alan Maybury named an experienced side for the match with the likes of Danny Swanson, Michael O'Halloran, Blair Alston and Liam Gordon featuring in his starting line-up as well as full-back Brian Easton.

Brian was forced to come off injured after 22 minutes although the injury is not thought to be too serious or related to the problem that had him sidelined for over a year.

It was a rather uneventful start to the match at McDiarmid with neither side creating much in the way if opportunities in the opening stages.

Coulibaly had the first effort of the match just before the ten minute mark but the Ivorian striker's effort was over the bar and never troubling Ross Sinclair in the Saints goal.

Minutes later Saints had their first chance when Callum Hendry rose to meet a Jamie McKenzie cross but the striker's header was too high to cause Lennox any problems.

On 22 minutes there were a few worried faces around the ground as Brian Easton pulled up with an injury and he was substituted as a precaution although the knock that he has sustained isn't thought to be serious or related to his long-term injury that has ruled the left-back out of competitive action for over a year.

Just before the half hour mark Coulibaly carved out another opportunity from the left hand side forcing a save from Ross Sinclair who could only parry the ball however Liam Gordon was on hand to help his 'keeper out by clearing the danger for a corner.

One of Saints' best chances of the half came after 36 minutes when Blair Alston fizzed a ball across the face of the goal that was beaten away by Lennox in the Thistle goal. The ball broke to Ross Callachan at the edge of the area but the midfielder's effort was wide of the target.

Five minutes later and Saints had another great opportunity to take the lead. Danny Swanson - who caused Partick Thistle trouble all afternoon - produced a lovely bit of individual skill to break free in the box but his effort was blocked on the line by McIntyre before being smothered by 'keeper Lennox.

Into the second half Liam Gordon had a chance from a Saints corner but the defender's headed effort was held by Lennox.

John Robertson entered the action replacing Jamie McKenzie and the young striker was quick to have an impact testing the Thistle goalie within minutes of coming on.

Callum Hendry was the next Saints player to go close but he was denied by Lennox before Coulibaly saw his headed effort loop over Ross Sinclair's crossbar.

On 71 minutes the deadlock was finally broken when the visitors opened the scoring. A powerful effort from Shea Gordon flew right into the corner of Sinclair's net leaving the young Saints 'keeper with no chance.

Thistle could have made it two almost immediately after an error from Jack Wilson but his defensive partner Liam Gordon was there to make a last ditch tackle and keep the deficit to one goal.

John Robertson looked the most likely to make something happen for Saints in the latter stages and forced some good saves from Lennox in the final ten minutes but Thistle held on to take the 1-0 victory.

TEAM: Ross Sinclair, Aaron Comrie, Marky Munro, Blair Alston, Brian Easton (Jack Wilson 22), Liam Gordon, Michael O'Halloran, Ross Callachan, Callum Hendry, Jamie McKenzie (John Robertson 60), Danny Swanson.

SUBS NOT USED: Jack Wills, Gregor Donald, Kyle Green, Euan O'Reilly, Olly Hamilton.