RESERVES | Saints 2-2 Dundee Utd

Saints Reserves battled to a 2-2 draw against an experienced Dundee Utd Reserves this afternoon in Alloa.

Two stunning Callum Hendry free-kicks cancelled out two Aidan Nesbitt penalties in an entertaining match at the Indodrill Stadium.

Brian Easton also completed his first full 90 minutes on his comeback from injury with the left-back looking solid throughout for Alan Maybury's side.

Saints Reserves came up against an experienced Dundee United Reserves side today which included the likes of Paul Watson, Callum Booth, Morgaro Gomis and Sam Stanton.

Alan Maybury included first-team players Brian Easton, Aaron Comrie and Callum Hendry in his squad with the latter playing a huge part in the 2-2 draw scoring two free-kicks and leading the line impressively throughout.

The game got off to a fast start with United awarded an early penalty after Glass was adjudged to have been fouled in the area after just 60 seconds.

Nesbitt stepped up and slotted the ball home in what was the worst possible start for Alan Maybury's side.

The response was almost imminent though and Callum Hendry was fouled at the edge of the box after 4 minutes to present the perfect opportunity for Saints to level the match.

And it was Hendry who stepped up to unleash a brilliant right-footed effort straight into the top corner leaving Ross Laidlaw with no chance in the United goal.

After 8 minutes, Scotland U19 international 'keeper Ross Sinclair was forced into action making a brilliant double save from Sam Stanton and Louis Appere to keep the scores level.

Saints had a great chance to take the lead themselves when John Robertson found himself one-on-one with Laidlaw but he couldn't quite manage to lift the ball over the United 'keeper who slid out and made the save.

There was a sense of dejavu on 19 minutes when Morgaro Gomis fouled Callum Hendry in almost the exact same position as he had scored from earlier in the match.

The Saints striker stepped up again and had Laidlaw beaten but his effort crashed off the inside of the post and out again in what looked like a certain goal from the 21-year-old.

The game began to settle down with Watson coming closest to breaking the deadlock when his effort from a corner went over the crossbar but the visitors would take the lead shortly after.

Louis Appere broke through in the box and was brought down by Ross Sinclair and the referee pointed to the spot for the second time after 32 minutes.

Nesbitt was the man to step up again and he blasted the ball home to restore United's lead and send Saints in 2-1 behind at the break.

Callum Hendry again was in the thick of things as he had a great chance to level shortly after the interval. Jamie McKenzie found space on the right and crossed for the Saints striker but his header crept just wide of Laidlaw's right hand post.

Saints looked the livelier of the sides in the second half and the United substitute 'keeper was forced to make a good save from Hendry after Aaron Comrie set him free in the box.

Alan Maybury introduced Jordan Northcott for John Robertson and Marky Munro for Euan O'Reilly as his side continued to search for the equaliser but it was Callum Hendry again who looked the most likely.

Some brilliant play from the Saints front man fashioned a chance out of nothing when he pinched the ball from United defender Bouhenna before firing narrowly over the crossbar with 10 minutes remaining.

Subsitute Marky Munro also came close when he fired the ball straight across goal but nobody could get on the end of it and it began to look like time was running out for Saints to get anything from the match.

There would however be one more chance as the referee awarded Saints a free-kick in the last minute of normal time 35-yards from goal.

Hendry stood over it again and although some may have expected a cross into the box to be the best option, the striker had other ideas.

He went for goal himself fired the ball straight into the back of the net past the United 'keeper for his second goal of the match and in doing so earned Saints a well-deserved point in Alloa.

SAINTS: Ross Sinclair, Aaron Comrie, Brian Easton, Ben Quigley, Jack Wilson, Euan O'Reilly (Marky Munro 68), John Robertson (Jordan Northcott 56), Kyle Green, Jamie McKenzie, Olly Hamilton, Callum Hendry.

SUBS NOT USED: Jack Wills, Jordan Bow, Ciaran Brian, Gregor Donald.

SCORERS: Callum Hendry x2 (4, 89)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Callum Hendry