Reserves suffer heavy defeat to Motherwell

Alan Maybury's Saints Reserves suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of Motherwell Reserves at New Central Park this afternoon.

All of the visitors' goals came in the first half with Greg Hurst scoring a consolation for Saints just after the break.

Next up for the Reserves is a home clash with Hamilton Accies Reserves.


It was a sunny but bitterly cold afternoon at New Central Park, Kelty for the SPFL Reserve League clash between Saints and Motherwell.

Alan Maybury named a very young squad for the match whilst Stephen Craigan's Motherwell Reserves featured more experienced players including Charles Dunne and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair.

In what was a pretty quiet opening ten minutes, both sides created half chances in search of the opening goal.

Good work from Broque Watson down the right flank forced a Motherwell corner and the resulting delivery was headed just over by Donnelly.

Just minutes later and Saints would create their first chance with Greg Hurst finding space at the edge of the area but his shot curled just over the crossbar.

It was Motherwell who broke the deadlock though after 13 minutes. Liam Brown played a lovely ball through for James Scott and the striker rolled the ball past Ross Sinclair to score the first of his three goals in the match.

Five minutes later and it was 2-0. George Newell beat the offside trap and raced through on goal before providing a cool and composed finish to double the visitors' advantage.

The game was beginning to run away from the young Saints side as Rehman added a third on 21 minutes before Watson made it four on the half hour mark. Greg Hurst - who looked the most likely for Saints - had another effort from distance in between the two 'Well goals but he couldn't keep his shot on target.

Struthers had a good chance minutes after Motherwell's fourth but any hopes of a comeback looked shot when the away side added their fifth goal of the afternoon.

On 34 minutes James Scott doubled his tally and made it 5-0 before completing his hat-trick just before the break with a header to make it six.

Cammy Ballantyne came close in the latter stages of the first half with a long range strike which cannoned off the post but it was a disappointing 45 minutes for Maybury's men.

The second half saw improvement though and on 49 minutes Greg Hurst managed to find the back of the net with a deflected effort. Hurst came close again with another opportunity just before the hour mark but his effort from the edge of the area flew over the bar.

Ross Sinclair had to be at his best to keep the score at 6-1 by making a fantastic point blank save from George Newell.

Opportunities in the second half were at a premium but Struthers came closest for the Saints in the latter stages when Gregor Donald's crossed from the left flank but the striker couldn't keep his header down.

The referee blew for full-time in what was a day to forget for the young Saints side. Up next for Alan Maybury's men is a home clash with Hamilton Accies on Monday 17th December, 2:30PM kick-off at New Central Park.

SAINTS: Ross Sinclair, Ciaran Brian, Jack Wilson, Ben Quigley, Gregor Donald, Euan O'Reilly, Jamie McKenzie, Cameron Ballantyne, John Robertson (Hamilton 76), Shaun Struthers, Greg Hurst.

UNUSED SUBS: Jack Wills, Jordan Bow, Kyle Woolley, Kyle Green, Jordan Northcott.

SCORER: Greg Hurst (49)

BOOKINGS: Jack Wilson (59)