Saints 1-0 St Mirren

Saturday 29th August

Stevie May came off the bench to score his first goal of the season as Saints defeated St Mirren 1-0 to secure their first home win of the season this afternoon.

In a match Saints dominated, they created numerous chances but their final touch in front of goal was letting them down.

The only goal of the game came on 72 minutes as May coolly tapped home a low Craig Conway cross.

Today’s win moves Saints up to sixth place in the league with 7 points.

Saints are back in action in a fortnight when they make the trip to Motherwell, kick off 3pm.


Saints hosted St Mirren at McDiarmid Park this afternoon as they looked to bounce back after a late goal last Sunday saw Hibs leave Perth with all 3 points. Callum Davidson made one change to the side that started against Hibs as David Wotherspoon came in for the suspended Liam Craig. There was also spots on the bench for Murray Davidson and Chris Kane as they made their way back from injury. St Mirren were held to a point last Saturday as they drew 1-1 with Ross County in Paisley. Jim Goodwin also made one change to his side as İlkay Durmuş came in for former Saints captain Joe Shaughnessy who was suspended after getting sent off last week.

Ali McCann got the match underway for Saints and it was the hosts who would create the first chance of the match after 7 minutes. Jamie McCart sent a long ball forward but Conor McCarthy did well to intercept it. However, Callum Hendry did well to rob the defender of the ball and raced in on goal but Buddies keeper Jak Alnwick got down low to his left to touch the effort behind for a corner. Then a couple of minutes later Saints were awarded a free kick just outside the box after Jamie McGrath fouled McCart. Craig Conway stepped up to take the free kick and his effort cannoned off the wall before he sent his second attempt well over.

It was a good start to the match for Saints as they played at a high tempo and on 13 minutes Michael O’Halloran saw his powerful effort go wide. Then 3 minutes later Liam Gordon fired over from just outside the box.

Saints put together another good flowing move on 27 minutes as David Wotherspoon played the ball out wide to Danny McNamara. The Republic of Ireland Under 21 internationalist then broke to the byline before cutting the ball back to Conway but he couldn’t get his effort on target from 15 yards.

As the half-progressed Saints continued to control the game and create chances. On 33 minutes O’Halloran fizzed a strike wide. Then a minute later McNamara played in Jason Kerr and the Saints captain sent an inviting ball across the face of the St Mirren goal which picked out Scott Tanser but he put his volley wide with the goal at his mercy.

On 38 minutes St Mirren made a change as Cameron MacPherson came on to replace Kyle McAllister.

It was a dominate first half performance by Saints and they created another chance on 41 minutes as McNamara and O’Halloran linked up well down the right. The former then sent a great cross into the box picking out Hendry who headed over.

Then as the match entered into 1 minute of additional time Saints almost got the goal their play deserved. Conway sent in a corner from the right and Kerr rose highest to head the ball goal wards but Alnwick made a great save. Liam Gordon reacted quickest to the loose ball but his effort was deflected behind for another corner with the Saints players appealing for a penalty but referee Kevin Clancy wasn’t interested.

Before the second half could get underway the visitors made another change as Dylan Connolly came on for Junior Morias.

On 51 minutes a Saints free kick was played out wide to McNamara and he sent a deep ball into the box. It fell to Gordon at the back post but his header went inches wide.

Just after the hour mark Hendry sent a great ball forward picking out Conway. The attacker looked to pick out the unmarked Wotherspoon in the centre of the box however, Richard Tait got back to turn the cross behind for a corner.

Saints made their first change of the match on 67 minutes as Stevie May came on for Michael O’Halloran and he made a quick impact as he opened the scoring for Saints 5 minutes later. A long ball forward was picked up by Conway and he advanced forward before sending a low cross into the box which was tapped home by May. Saints had finally got the goal that their play deserved.

With 10 minutes remaining the visitors created a chance to pull level as substitute Kristian Dennis did well to turn his man before having a strike at goal but it was straight at Elliott Parish who comfortably gathered.

On 83 minutes Murray Davidson made his return from injury as he came on for Callum Hendry. Then a minute later Saints got a great chance to double their advantage as Tanser’s cross from the left fell to McNamara but Buddies keeper Alnwick pulled off a brilliant save to deny him his first goal for the club. From the resultant corner Alnwick had to look lively again this time gathering a Davidson header.

Saints though would go on to see the game out and secure their first home win of the season.

Saints: Parish, Kerr, Gordon, McCart, McNamara, Tanser, Wotherspoon, McCann, Conway (Kane 90), Hendry (Davidson 83), O’Halloran (May 67)

Unused Substitutes: Sinclair (GK), Rooney, Booth, Olaofe, Robertson, Duffy

Booked: None

Scorer: May (72)

St Mirren: Alnwick, Tait, McCarthy, Sheron (Jamieson 89), Obika, McAllister (MacPherson 38), Durmus, Foley, McGrath, Morias (Connolly 45), Fraser (Dennis 50)

Unused Substitutes: Lyness (GK), Baird, Erhahon, Henderson, Jack

Booked: MacPherson

Referee: Kevin Clancy

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Scott Tanser puts his volley wide of the target