Saints 1-1 Motherwell

Saturday 21st November 2020

A Stevie May penalty saw Saints fight back to earn a point against Motherwell at McDiarmid Park this afternoon.

The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes as Mark O’Hara blasted home after some good play by the Steelmen.

However, Saints were back on level terms on 34 minutes as Stevie May scored from the spot after he had been fouled by Bevis Mugabi.

Saints dominated possession during the second half and they almost won it late through substitute Chris Kane however, the striker saw his close range effort go over.

Next up for Saints is a trip to Hibernian on Tuesday evening for a rearranged league game, kick off 7pm.


After progressing to the last 16 of the Betfred Cup last weekend with a win at Peterhead, Saints returned to league action this afternoon as they welcomed Motherwell to McDiarmid Park. Shaun Rooney, Michael O’Halloran, Liam Craig, Callum Booth and Guy Melamed all dropped out as Callum Davidson made five changes to his starting line-up. They were replaced by Liam Gordon, Scott Tanser, Danny McNamara, Ali McCann and David Wotherspoon. Motherwell were forced to make two changes to their starting eleven as Allan Campbell and Barry Maguire were forced to self-isolate after testing positive for Covid-19 following their return from international duty with Scotland Under 21s. They were replaced by Bevis Mugabi and Robbie Crawford.

The visitors got the match underway and it was Saints would create their first chance of the match after 6 minutes as a Danny McNamara tried to pick out Craig Conway with a great pass but Motherwell keeper Aaron Chapman was out quick to deal with the danger.

Motherwell threatened on 12 minutes as a Stephen O’Donnell long throw picked out Mark O’Hara but the midfielder put his header over. However, O’Hara would give the visitors the lead 5 minutes later. The Steelmen went on a good move forward as former Saints player Tony Watt played the ball into Liam Polworth but the midfielders effort was blocked by Jason Kerr. The rebound then broke to O’Hara and he slammed the ball into the net to give the North Lanarkshire side the lead.

Saints had a chance to level the match on 23 minutes as Craig Conway’s free kick fell to David Wotherspoon but his shot was closed down by Devante Cole

Just before the half an hour mark Saints were forced to make a change as Craig Bryson came on for the injured Murray Davidson. The midfielder came off second best in an aerial duel as he landed heavily on his shoulder and had to be stretchered off.

Saints were given a great chance to level the match on 33 minutes as they were awarded a penalty after May was brought down in the box by Bevis Mugabi, following a great ball from David Wotherspoon. May stepped up to take the penalty himself and he blasted his effort straight down the middle to bring Saints level.

Shortly after Saints almost took the lead as Conway’s cross from the right picked out Wotherspoon but the header from the Canadian internationalist went inches wide.

As the match headed towards half time O’Hara put a header wide from a Declan Gallagher cross and then deep into the 5 minutes of added on time Devante Cole saw his strike well saved by Zander Clark.

On 54 minutes Danny McNamara played a good ball into Ali McCann but the shot from the midfielder was blocked by the Well defence. Then just before the hour mark Conway picked up a bloody nose after clashing with Mugabi as he went to direct a header towards goal and he had to be replaced by Michael O’Halloran.

Saints were enjoying the majority of the possession and on 66 minutes McCann slipped the ball to May however, his strike was straight at the Motherwell keeper.

Saints continued to press forward and a Wotherspoon corner on 71 minutes was head down by Jason Kerr to May who flicked the ball towards goal but Chapman got down well to gather. Then 4 minutes later a Wotherspoon cross from the right picked out Liam Gordon in the box but his diving header was saved by Chapman.

The pressure on the Motherwell goal continued and on 81 minutes Wotherspoon put his effort wide and then 2 minutes later the midfielder had another shot at goal this time from outside the box but again it didn’t trouble Chapman in the visiting goal.

On 85 minutes a rare venture in the Saints half by the visitors saw a 30 yard effort from O’Donnell fizz wide.

Then deep into added on time Saints got a great chance to win it as following a scramble in the visitors box the ball broke to Kane at the back post but the striker blasted his shot over the bar from 6 yards out.

Saints: Clark, Kerr, McCart, Gordon, Tanser, McNamara, Davidson (Bryson 29), McCann, Wotherspoon, Conway (O’Halloran 61), May (Kane 86)

Unused Substitutes: Parish (GK), Rooney, Booth, Craig, Hendry, Melamed

Booked: Bryson, McNamara, McCann

Scorer: May (34 pen)

Motherwell: Chapman, Mugabi, Gallagher, McGinley, O’Donnell, Crawford, Polworth, O’Hara, Watt, Lang (White 87), Cole (Long 62) (Lamie 77)

Unused Substitutes: Archer (GK), Seedorf, Devine, Cornelius, Grimshaw, Hastie


Scorer: O’Hara (17)

Referee: Steven Kirkland

Attendance: BCD

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Stevie May scores his penalty to make it 1-1