Saints 4-0 Brechin City

Match Report by Ross Gardiner

Saints headed into Wednesday’s clash with Brechin City looking to pick up their first competitive win of the season. With nothing up for grabs, Chris Kane and Michael O’Halloran started up top and Kyle McClean came into midfield.

Kane rattled the bar after two minutes, nearly converting an O’Halloran cross but there was an early goal as Saints were awarded a penalty on four minutes for a clumsy foul in the box.

Tanser stepped up and slotted home with aplomb, making the score 1-0.

O’Halloran fizzed a tight shot along the goal line early in the first half, but there were no takers to convert.

Meanwhile, Kennedy tormented the City back line with a string of low drives from the edge of the area, but the Brechin defence remained resolute.

The League Two side were struggling to cope with O’Halloran’s frightening pace, and the attacker tore through the defence after a 40 yard run on 25 minutes, but linked his finish over the bar.

The visitors retaliated at a corner, where Zander was forced into making a on-handed reflex save to keep Saints in the lead.

Saints were dominating pressure and Richard Foster tried a rare effort from range, but his daisy cutter beat both keeper and post.

Chris Kane doubled the Perth men’s lead after a great Kyle McClean cross was knocked back for the striker by Davidson. The number nine couldn’t miss from two yards out. 2-0.

Ryan McCord thundered a rising effort at goal as half time loomed, but the strike didn’t trouble Clark and the teams went in at the break with Saints two goals to the good.

The second half started as the first finished, with more Saints pressure. Wallace Duffy nearly grabbed his first goal from a corner after finding space in the box, and O’Halloran somehow lashed a botched quickly taken Brechin goal kick wide from close range.

More shoddy defending saw Swanson’s cross palmed behind when the keeper looked favourite for a clean catch.

The winger then saw his lob headed off the line after City struggled to clear a deep Foster cross.

Kane nearly doubled his tally on 52 minutes, with the space opening up outside the box but the effort flew wide.

The striker was replaced by Callum Hendry on the hour mark, with Jordan Northcott coming on shortly after for Michael O’Halloran.

The youngster broke into space in the box after good work by Swanson, and saw his bouncing shot blocked after making an instant impact.

But it was super sub Hendry who was next to find the ned, bulleting home a Foster cross with pinpoint precision against his former club. 3-0.

And Kennedy made it four moments later after a tenacious run down the wing, one-two with Swanson and blast beyond the goalkeeper. 4-0.

Ali McCann replaced McClean with just over ten minutes to play and the midfielder’s first action was to tee up Foster for another low thunderbolt which swerved off target.

Kennedy again had the ball in the net on 83 minutes, but his tap in from a Hendry cross was flagged offside.

McCann then tried to grab a goal of his own, forcing McMinn into a stunning diving save as full time approached.

Tanser had a late free kick headed over after Dougie Hill brought down Swanson, and the winger himself fashioned a fine chance with great close control, but when his blocked shot fell to Northcott, there was nobody unhand to tap home the young striker’s squared pass.

The match finished 4-0, with a comprehensive performance and scoreline to match. Saints will be looking for more of the same on Saturday in Forfar ahead of the start of the league season.

SAINTS: Clark, Foster, Kerr, Duffy, Tanser, Kennedy, Davidson, McClean (McCann, 77), Swanson, Kane (Hendry, 60), O’Halloran (Northcott, 68).

UNUSED SUBS: Parish, Anderson, Craig.

GOALS: Tanser (4), Kane, (32), Hendry (73), Kennedy (75)

BRECHIN CITY: McMinn, McIntosh, McLaughlin, Inglis, Hill, Reekie, Reid, Brown, McManus (Crawford, 46), McCord (Duncanson, 64), Knox.

UNUSED SUBS: O’Neil, Smith.

Referee: Steven McLean Man of the Match: Matty Kennedy