Saints U20s 1-2 Dundee United U20s

Monday 23rd April

Saints Under 20s lost 2-1 to Dundee United at McDiarmid Park this evening.

The Tannadice took the lead with 5 minutes of the first half remaining as a poor free kick from Stefan Scougall was picked up by Emil Lyng and he advanced with the ball before coolly slotting past Ross Sinclair.

Dundee United then doubled their advantage just before the hour mark courtesy of a Gavin Ritchie strike.

Saints pulled a goal back on 69 minutes when Ali McCann headed a Kyle McClean corner past Josh Donaldson.


Saints Under 20s welcomed Dundee United to McDiarmid Park this evening for their final home game of the season. There were several first team players included in the starting eleven for Alex Cleland’s side as Aaron Comrie, Liam Gordon, Kyle McClean, David McMillan and Stefan Scougall were all given game time.

Dundee United got the match underway and they created the first chance of the match after 5 minutes but Craig Slater blasted wide.

Saints got a good chance to break the deadlock on 18 minutes as a poor clearance by United keeper Josh Donaldson fell to David McMillan and the striker unleashed a first time shot that went inches wide. Then on 24 minutes the Irishman had a shot from distance that went wide. Saints continued to press and a minute later Cameron Thomson delivered a good ball from the left that picked out John Robertson in the box but the young striker fired over.

Saints were awarded a free kick just outside the box on 28 minutes after Stefan Scougall had been fouled. The midfielder took the free kick himself however, his effort was straight at Donaldson.

In a move that had been planned the first change of the match came on 32 minutes as Saints brought on Callum Hendry for David McMillan.

Then a minute later the visitors threatened as Declan Glass had a shot that was well held by Sinclair.

With 10 minutes of the first half remaining Liam Gordon sent a good ball forward and it broke to Robertson. The young striker advanced into the box before crossing the ball across the face of the United goal however, there was no one there to knock it into the empty net as the visitors cleared their lines.

Dundee United were next to threaten as Slater headed over from a Logan Chalmers free kick.

On 38 minutes Callum Hendry had a shot that was palmed by Donaldson and from the follow-up Robertson saw his effort smash of Donaldson’s right-hand post. However, play was pulled back as Robertson had been in an offside position.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play with 5 minutes of the first half remaining. Saints had been awarded a free kick just inside their own half following a foul on Scougall. The midfielder took the free kick himself and played the ball back to Jack Wilson however, his pass was slack and Emil Lyng latched onto the ball. The striker then broke forward before calmly slotting it past Ross Sinclair.

Robertson was looking dangerous going forward for Saints and just before half time the striker again got to the byline before sending the ball across the face of the United goal but the danger was cleared of the line by a visiting defender.

Saints made a change at the start of the second half as Jamie Docherty came on for Stefan Scougall.

Despite some early promise that Saints would get back into the game, Dundee United doubled their advantage on 58 minutes as Gavin Ritchie burst into the box before firing a good strike high past Sinclair.

Saints tried to get back into the game and on 63 minutes Hendry had a shot from just outside the box that was straight at Donaldson. Then on 68 minutes Kyle McClean saw his effort pushed behind for a corner.

A minute later Saints pulled a goal back as McClean swung a good corner in from the left picking out Ali McCann who planted a powerful header past Donaldson.

Saints keeper Ross Sinclair was called into action on 79 minutes as he palmed away a Matty Smith effort as the Tannadice side looked to regain their two-goal advantage.

With 4 minutes remaining Saints almost pulled level as McClean delivered a free kick from the right into the box and Jack Wilson rose to direct the ball goal wards however, his header went inches wide.

Play very quickly switched to the other end as Logan Chalmers fired a strike wide of Sinclair’s goal.

Then with a minute remaining Saints came even closer as McClean’s corner was directed goal wards by Gordon. Cameron Ballantyne then got a touch on the ball as it headed towards goal however, it was cleared off the line by a United defender.

The match then entered 4 minutes of additional time but the visitors held out to secure the win and move above Saints in the Development League.

Saints U20s: Sinclair, Comrie, Thomson, McCann, Gordon, Wilson, Ballantyne, McClean, McMillan (Hendry 32) (Mackenzie 79), Scougall (Docherty 45), Robertson

Unused Substitutes: Wills (GK), Lumsden, Quigley, Brian

Booked: None

Scorers: McCann (69)

Dundee United U20s: Donaldson, Zata, Ritchie, Briels, Bollan, Edjenguele, Smith, Slater, Lyng (Kadded 59), Glass (Mockrie 66), Chalmers

Unused Substitutes: Inglis, McMeekin, Nicolson, Taylor, Davidson

Booked: None

Scorers: Lyng (40), Ritchie (58)

Referee: Duncan Smith

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: David McMillan got half an hour in tonight’s game