Dundee 2-1 Saints
Match Reports

Dundee 2-1 Saints

11th February 2024

Dundee 2-1 Saints

Saints were left frustrated at the Scot Foam Stadium at Dens Park this afternoon as Dundee came from behind to win the Tayside Derby.

Saints took the lead on 9 minutes as Graham Carey found Matt Smith just inside the Dundee box and the midfielder sent a low clinical finish beyond Trevor Carson and into the bottom corner of the net.

Dundee came close to an equaliser on 24 minutes when Aaron Donnelly saw his header cleared off the line by Carey. Whilst up the other end Carson made a great save to deny Benjamin Kimpioka.

The hosts dominated possession however, Saints had chances of their own to extend their lead as Adama Sidibeh saw his superb overhead kick just before the hour mark tipped over by Carson. Andy Considine also went close as his header from the resultant corner hit the crossbar.

Dundee though levelled the match on 75 minutes when Luke McCowan slotted home from the spot after Liam Gordon was judged to have fouled Amadou Bakayoko following a lengthy VAR review. The hosts then won the match late on when Jordan McGhee nodded home an Owen Beck cross.

Next up for Saints is a home game against Rangers next Sunday, kick off 12pm.


Saints made the short trip along the A90 today to take on Dundee at The Scot Foam Stadium at Dens Park in a rearranged cinch Premiership match. A second half goal from Lawrence Shankland saw Saints slip to a 1-0 defeat to Hearts in midweek and Craig Levein made five changes to his starting eleven for this afternoon’s match as Liam Gordon, David Keltjens and Matt Smith came into the starting eleven along with Kerr Smith and Adama Sidibeh, who were both making their first starts for Saints. They replaced Ryan McGowan, Tony Gallacher, Connor Smith and Max Kucheriavyi who all dropped to the bench, whilst Fran Franczak missed out completely. Dundee lost 2-0 at St Mirren on Wednesday evening and manager Tony Docherty also made five changes to his starting eleven this afternoon. Scott Tiffoney, Amadou Bakayoko, Zach Robinson, Aaron Donnelly and Mo Sylla came into the starting eleven and they replaced Lee Ashcroft, Owen Dodgson and Michael Mellon who all dropped to the bench, whilst Malachi Boateng and Curtis Main missed out completely.

Lyall Cameron got the match underway for Dundee and the hosts created the first chance of the match on 4 minutes. Joe Shaughnessy’s long throw-in from the right broke to Cameron but his effort was deflected behind for a corner by Andy Considine. Dundee created another chance on 7 minutes as an Owen Beck corner from the left was played short to Luke McCowan who took a touch before curling an effort narrowly over.

Then 2 minutes later Matt Smith scored to put Saints a goal up. A good passing move by Saints saw Oludare Olufunwa play the ball in from the right to Graham Carey who took a touch before laying it off to Matt Smith and the Welsh midfielder teed himself up before slotting a low strike into the bottom corner.

PHOTO: Matt Smith scores for Saints

The Dee looked for a quick response and on 11 minutes Liam Gordon’s headed clearance only went as far as Cameron but his low effort was saved by Dimitar Mitov. Then a minute later Matt Smith was short with a back pass to Mitov and the clearance from the Bulgarian keeper smacked into the onrushing Amadou Bakayoko as the ball cannoned off the forward and hit the post. A big let off for Saints.  

Dundee continued to apply the pressure and on 14 minutes Shaughnessy saw his strike deflected for another corner by Considine.

3 minutes later Matt Smith won Saints a free kick after he was fouled by Mo Sylla. Matt Smith took the free kick himself and his ball into the box was headed on by Adama Sidibeh to Considine but the header from the experienced defender went inches wide of the post.

It was turning into an entertaining half of football and on 24 minutes Beck’s corner from the left was met by Aaron Donnelly and the header from the on-loan Nottingham Forest defender was cleared off the line by Carey.

On 32 minutes McCowan played in Scott Tiffoney and the midfielder unleashed a right-footed effort from the edge of the box which didn’t trouble Mitov.

Then a minute later Saints came close to doubling their lead as Olufunwa’s cross into the Dundee box was cleared by Shaughnessy however, his clearance only went as far as Benjamin Kimpioka and the Swedish forward took a touch before unleashing a strike which Trevor Carson tipped over the bar for a corner.

PHOTO: Benjamin Kimpioka's shot is saved by Trevor Carson

A quick Saints break on 37 minutes saw Sidibeh burst past Shaughnessy and into the Dundee box. The Gambian forward then cut the ball back on to his right foot and unleashed a shot, but Shaughnessy was able to track back and turn the shot behind for a corner. Matt Smith took the corner from the left and his delivery was met by Gordon at the near post however, he couldn’t direct his header on target.

5 minutes into the second half a Beck corner from the right was met by Dara Costelloe whose header went narrowly wide. Dundee continued to create chances and on 52 minutes they were awarded a free kick after Costelloe had been fouled by Considine. Beck took the free kick and he floated the ball into the box and it was met by Donnelly however, his header went over the bar.

Saints made a double change on 58 minutes as Connor Smith and Max Kucheriavyi came on to replace Oludare Olufunwa and Benjamin Kimpioka. The two changes almost made an immediate impact as Kucheriavyi broke to the byline before sending over a divine cross which Connor Smith headed back across goal and Sidibeh got on the end of but his sublime overhead kick was pushed over the bar for a corner by Carson. From the resultant corner Carey’s delivery from the right was met by Considine and the defender saw his header smash the crossbar as the Dee cleared the danger.

PHOTO: Adama Sidibeh and Joe Shaughnessy

The hosts continued to create chances and on 65 minutes Donnelly picked out Shaughnessy with his cross into the Saints box however, the former Saints defender put his header wide of the mark.

Another Saints change followed on 69 minutes as Sven Sprangler came on to replace Kerr Smith.

However, Dundee were given the chance to draw level with 15 minutes remaining as they were awarded a penalty. Don Robertson was on VAR and he called over referee David Munro to review an incident between Gordon and Bakayoko and following the lengthy review a penalty was awarded with Gordon deemed to have caught the on-loan Forest Green Rovers forward in the face with his hand. McCowan stepped up and he fired his side level as he sent Mitov the wrong way.

Dundee now pushed forward for a winner and with 10 minutes remaining McCowan played in Beck who flashed an effort inches wide. Then on 85 minutes a Costelloe cross from the left broke to Bakayoko at the back post but Mitov made a great save to keep the score level.

PHOTO: Referee David Munro awards Dundee a penalty after a VAR intervention gives a foul against Liam Gordon

Then in the final minute Dundee completed their comeback. The hosts were awarded a free kick after Costelloe was fouled on the halfway line by Kucheriavyi. From the free kick Beck sent a deep cross into the Saints box which Jordan McGhee got on the end of and he planted his glancing header past Mitov and into the net.

8 minutes were added on at the end and in the second minute of added on time Luke Robinson saw his cross clawed away by Carson for a corner.

There was then a 7 minute delay as following a clash of heads on the halfway line between Liam Gordon and Michael Mellon the on-loan Burnley forward came off worse and had to receive treatment for a nasty head injury before being stretchered off. Munro had initially played the advantage following the clash between Gordon and Mellon which saw Costelloe break into the Saints box before coming down under the challenge of Matt Smith although no penalty was awarded.

As a result of the delay 17 minutes of added on time was played and Saints made their final change of the game on 104 minutes with Diallang Jaiyesimi coming on to replace Matt Smith. Saints pushed forward in the final minutes and on 106 minutes McGowan’s long throw-in was headed on by Gordon as the ball broke to Jaiyesimi on the edge of the Dee box however, he fired over as Dundee saw the game out to secure the 3 points.   

PHOTO: Dimitar Mitov reacts at full time

Dundee: Carson, Shaughnessy, McGhee, Tiffoney (Mellon 67’) (Ashcroft 90+14’), Bakayoko, Cameron, Robinson (Costelloe 45’), McCowan, Donnelly (Lamie 89’), Sylla, Beck

Unused Substitutes: Sharp (GK), Dodgson, Astley, Mulligan, Robertson

Booked: McGhee, Costelloe, Bakayoko, Mellon

Scorers: McCowan (75’ pen), McGhee (89’)

Saints: Mitov, Considine, Gordon, Carey, Sidibeh, Olufunwa (C. Smith 58’), Robinson, M. Smith (Jaiyesimi 90+14’), Kimpioka (Kucheriavyi 58’), Keltjens (McGowan 79’), K. Smith (Sprangler 69’)

Unused Substitutes: Richards (GK), Gallacher, Kane, Clark

Booked: Gordon, Mitov, Kucheriavyi

Scorer: M. Smith (9’)

Referee: David Munro

VAR: Don Robertson

Attendance: 7,102 (1,681 Saints fans)

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Adama Sidibeh is tackled by Joe Shaughnessy

Back to News
Share on Social