Match report: Livingston 2-1 Saints
First Team

Match report: Livingston 2-1 Saints

11th May 2024

Match report: Livingston 2-1 Saints

Saints missed out on the chance to move out of the cinch Premiership relegation play-off position this afternoon as a dramatic stoppage time winner saw Livingston come from behind to defeat Saints 2-1 at the Almondvale Stadium.

Saints were quickly out of the block and they took a deserved lead on 8 minutes as Adama Sidibeh slotted beyond Shamal George.  

Saints continued to create chances to extend their lead however, Livi started to edge their way back into the game and the hosts were back on level terms on 72 minutes as Cristian Montaño tucked the ball beyond Dimitar Mitov from a Sean Kelly corner.

Nicky Clark came within inches of winning the match for Saints deep into the 5 minutes of added on time as he got on the end of a Graham Carey pass before seeing his shot go the wrong side of the post. Saints were left to rue their missed chances as Andrew Shinnie fired home a dramatic winner in the final minute of stoppage time to win the match for the hosts.

Saints remain in eleventh position in the cinch Premiership, 2 points behind tenth placed Ross County.

Next up for Saints is a home game against Ross County on Wednesday evening, kick off 7:45pm.


Saints were back on their travels for the second week in succession as they made the trip to West Lothian to take on Livingston at the Almondvale Stadium. Following last Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Aberdeen Craig Levein made four changes to his starting eleven this afternoon. David Keltjens, Cammy MacPherson, Stevie May and Adama Sidibeh came in to replace Andy Considine, Matt Smith, Connor Smith and Benji Kimpioka who all dropped to the bench. Livingston lost 4-1 at Motherwell last weekend, a result that confirmed the West Lothian sides six-year stay in the Scottish Premiership had come to an end. There were three changes to the Livingston starting eleven this afternoon as David Martindale brought in Cristian Montaño, Tete Yengi and Joel Nouble to replace Ayo Obileye and Daniel MacKay who both dropped to the bench, whilst Jason Holt missed out completely.

It was a glorious sunny afternoon in Livingston as Stevie May got the match underway for Saints and the visitors came close to taking the lead within 40 seconds of the match getting underway. A Drey Wright throw-in from the right picked out Graham Carey and he cut the ball back to Nicky Clark and the striker unleashed a shot from 10 yards which went over the bar.

Saints created another chance on 4 minutes as a cross from Cammy MacPherson picked out Stevie May whose header was brilliantly saved by Shamal George as he touched the ball over for a corner.

It was a great start by Saints and 2 minutes later Dan Phillips played the ball into the box which picked out May who headed the ball back across goal to Sidibeh however, George again made another great save to deny the forward.

Saints great start to the match was rewarded on 8 minutes as they took the lead. Carey’s cross from the left was cut back by Clark to May and his scuffed shot found Adama Sidibeh who made no mistake as he slotted the ball beyond George for his third goal of the season.

PHOTO: Adama Sidibeh scores to make it 1-0 to Saints

Saints kept up the pressure and on 12 minutes Sidibeh’s cross from the right found MacPherson whose sweet volley went narrowly wide. Then a minute later May won Saints a free kick after he was fouled by Michael Nottingham. Carey took the free kick as he picked out Sidibeh in the box with his delivery however, George made a good save as Michael Devlin turned the ball behind for a corner.

The chances kept on coming for Saints and on 23 minutes great hold-up play by Sidibeh saw the Gambian play the ball into the path of Wright who burst into the Livi box before unleashing a powerful strike that went wide of the target.  

Livi created a chance to level the match on 26 minutes as a Nottingham throw-in played in Cristian Montaño and the Colombian unleashed a left-footed effort which was brilliantly saved by Dimitar Mitov. The Saints number one was called into action again 2 minutes later as Tete Yengi laid the ball off to Joel Nouble however, Mitov made a great save as he turned Nouble’s shot behind for a corner.

Livingston were starting to come into the game and on 31 minutes Yengi unleashed a shot from distance which was saved by Mitov.

Cammy MacPherson was making his first start since September and with 9 minutes of the first half remaining he had a go from distance as his volley was saved by George low to his right. Then on 41 minutes Sidibeh burst into the Livi box as he tried to beat George at his near post however, the Livi keeper made a good block to deny the Saints forward.

PHOTO: Shamal George saves Adama Sidibeh's shot

The hosts were awarded a promising free kick just outside on 45 minutes as Yengi was fouled by May, who was booked by referee John Beaton. Stephen Kelly and Sean Kelly stood over the free kick and it was taken by the latter however, his effort was comfortably saved by Mitov.

Saints made a quick start to the second half as on 47 minutes Carey burst to the bye-line before crossing the ball into the box however, Nottingham was able to turn the ball behind for a corner with May lurking looking to get on the end of the cross. MacPherson took the corner from the left and his in-swinging delivery was palmed away by George as the ball broke to May however, he couldn’t find the target with his shot.

On 56 minutes good play by Saints saw them carve open Livi as Sidibeh played in Clark however, George came to the rescue again for the hosts making another good save as the ball was turned behind for a corner. Then on the hour mark David Keltjens picked out Sidibeh however, his effort didn’t trouble George in the Livingston goal. Saints kept up the pressure and a minute later Wright passed the ball to Sidibeh and he laid it off to MacPherson however his effort lacked power as George made a comfortable save.

PHOTO: Stevie May shoots over the bar

Play quickly switched to the other end as on 62 minutes Devlin rose to meet a Nottingham cross from the right however, the header from the Livi captain was straight into the arms of Mitov.  

Saints continued to search for a second and on 64 minutes a cross from the right by Carey was met by Ryan McGowan however, he put his header wide the target.

However, on 72 minutes Montaño pulled the hosts level. Stephen Kelly’s deep corner from the left broke to Montaño who slotted home at the back post.

Saints then made a couple of changes as Stevie May made way for Matt Smith, whilst Benji Kimpioka came on to replace Adama Sidibeh.

PHOTO: Nicky Clark puts his shot wide

On 87 minutes Craig Levein made a double change as Connor Smith and Diallang Jaiyesimi came on to replace Dan Phillips and Cammy MacPherson.

2 minutes later Livi created a chance to take the lead as a Stephen Kelly corner from the right was gathered by Ayo Obileye and the Livi sub saw his shot from a tight angle saved by Mitov. Then shortly after Stephen Kelly was unable to test Mitov with a shot from distance.

5 minutes of injury time were added on at the end and 2 minutes into added on time Gordon got on the end of a Carey cross from the left however, his header went sailing over the crossbar. Then on 94 minutes Carey’s ball over the top was gathered by Clark who was in on goal however, his shot went agonisingly inches wide of the post.

Saints were left to regret those missed chances as the hosts went up the other end and won the match in the final minute of added on time. A cross from substitute Steven Bradley picked out fellow substitute Andrew Shinnie and the midfielder fired a powerful strike beyond Mitov to secure the 3 points for the hosts.

PHOTO: Dimitar Mitov and Ryan McGowan react after Livi score their late winner

Livingston: George, Montaño (Obileye 86’), Devlin, Pittman (Bradley 67’), Anderson, Stephen Kelly, Brandon, Nouble, Nottingham (Shinnie 79’), Sean Kelly, Yengi (MacKay 67’)

Unused Substitutes: Wright (GK), Carson, Sangare, Guthrie, Sharp

Booked: Brandon, Nouble

Scorers: Montaño (72’), Shinnie (90+5’)

Saints: Mitov, McGowan, Gordon, May (M. Smith 75’), MacPherson (Jaiyesimi 87’), Clark, Carey, Wright, Sidibeh (Kimpioka 79’), Keltjens, Phillips (C. Smith 87’)

Unused Substitutes: Richards (GK), Considine, Kucheriavyi, Olufunwa, Franczak

Booked: May

Scorer: Sidibeh (8’)

Referee: John Beaton

VAR: Gavin Duncan

Attendance: 1,242

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Dan Phillips is tackled by Stephen Kelly

Back to News
Share on Social