Saints 1-0 St Mirren
First Team

Saints 1-0 St Mirren

6th December 2023

Saints 1-0 St Mirren

Chris Kane’s stoppage time goal saw Saints secure a 1-0 win against St Mirren at McDiarmid Park this evening.

The visitors created chances to win the game as Charles Dunne saw his 25-yard effort tipped over by Dimitar Mitov whilst substitute Mikael Mandron hit the post after getting on the end of a Toyosi Olusanya delivery.

The only goal of the game came deep into the 4 minutes of added on time as Saints were awarded a penalty after Liam Gordon was fouled in the box by Dunne. Chris Kane stepped up to take the penalty which was saved by Zach Hemming however, Kane reacted quickest to despatch the rebound beyond Hemming to snatch the points for Saints.

Tonight’s result sees Saints move above Aberdeen to tenth in the league, level on points with Motherwell, who Saints face on Saturday at Fir Park, kick off 3pm.


Saints welcomed St Mirren to McDiarmid Park for a cinch Premiership match this evening. Saints put in a battling performance on Sunday afternoon before ultimately going down 3-1 to Celtic in Perth and Craig Levein made one change to his starting eleven this evening as Tony Gallacher came in to replace Dara Costelloe who dropped to the bench.  A double from Abdallah Sima saw St Mirren fall to a 2-0 defeat to Rangers on Sunday at Ibrox and manager Stephen Robinson made two changes to his starting eleven as Charles Dunne and Lewis Jamieson came in to replace Conor McMenamin, who dropped to the bench, whilst Richard Taylor missed out completely.

It was a cold frosty evening in Perth as Max Kucheriavyi got the match underway for Saints.

The visitors started brightly seeing a lot of the ball in the opening exchanges however, they couldn’t create anything of significance to trouble Dimitar Mitov.

On 10 minutes Saints were forced into an early change as Max Kucheriavyi picked up a knock and had to be replaced by Sven Sprangler.

A good passing move by Saints on 19 minutes saw Tony Gallacher send over an inviting ball into the box however, there was no takers. The Buddies clearance was poor as play continued and the ball was played to Matt Smith who curled an effort narrowly wide.

PHOTO: Ryan McGowan takes on Scott Tanser

Saints got a let off on 24 minutes as a poor pass by Dan Phillips was intercepted by Jonah Ayunga as the forward saw his strike blocked by Sprangler, who had done well to get back, and the ball broke to Lewis Jamieson however, his shot was turned over for a corner by Mitov.

A great delivery by Graham Carey on the half an hour mark was met by Smith in the box whose first-time volley was straight at Zach Hemming. Good play by Carey 4 minutes later saw him produce a neat one-two with Diallang Jaiyesimi however, his low strike was comfortably gathered by Hemming.

Deep into the 6 minutes of added on time at the end of the first half Saints were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area after Sprangler had been fouled by Alex Gogić. Both Carey and Smith stood over the free kick and it was taken by Carey who curled his effort over the wall before seeing it gathered by Hemming.

PHOTO: Matt Smith's volley is saved by Zach Hemming

The Buddies came close to the breakthrough on 47 minutes as Greg Kiltie saw his close-range header from a Mark O’Hara cross gathered by Mitov.

Play quickly switched to the other end as a minute later a good move forward by Saints saw Carey break into the box before sending a dangerous ball across the face which no one in a Saints shirt could get on the end of.

Saints were more lively at the start of the second half and on 50 minutes they were awarded a free kick in a promising position following a foul on Smith by Jonah Ayunga. Carey took the free kick and he floated the ball into the box however, there was again no takers as the ball went behind for a goal kick.

PHOTO: Alex Gogić tackles Diallang Jaiyesimi

On the hour mark a long ball forward by Conor McMenamin was gathered by Jamieson who took a touch as he turned in the box before seeing his effort saved by Mitov.

Saints made their second change of the game on 62 minutes as Chris Kane came on to replace Diallang Jaiyesimi.

The visitors came close to taking the lead with 19 minutes remaining as Charles Dunne unleashed an effort from 25 yards which Mitov tipped over the bar for a corner. The Paisley side came even closer a minute later as substitute Toyosi Olusanya won the ball from Luke Robinson out wide on the left. The English forward raced towards the Saints box before sending a delightful ball across the face of the Saints goal and fellow substitute Mikael Mandron slide in to connect with the cross however, his effort from a few yards out hit the post.

A good move by Saints on 78 minutes saw Smith play in Kane who got the better of Alex Gogić as the Saints number nine raced towards the box before unleashing an effort which trickled narrowly wide of the target.

PHOTO: Chris Kane puts his shot wide of the post

Saints created another chance on 84 minutes as James Brown played the ball into the feet of Kane however, his shot hit the side netting.

Both sides continued to push for a winner as four minutes were added on at the end. In the third minute of additional time Saints were awarded a penalty after Dunne fouled Liam Gordon. Kane stepped up to take the penalty and his low effort was saved by Hemming. However, Kane reacted quickest to the loose ball as he slotted home the rebound to secure a vital three points for Saints.

PHOTO: Chris Kane scores from the rebound after his penalty was saved by Zach Hemmings

Saints: Mitov, Brown, Gallacher, McGowan, Gordon, Carey, Jaiyesimi (Kane 62’), Kucheriavyi (Sprangler 10’), Robinson, Smith, Phillips

Unused Substitutes: Richards (GK), May, Jephcott, Olufunwa, Turner-Cooke, Costelloe, Franczak

Booked:  Sprangler, Kane

Scorer: Kane (90' + 5)

St Mirren: Hemming, Tanser (Bolton 45’), O’Hara, Ayunga (Mandron 66’), Flynn (McMenamin 45+2’), Kiltie (Baccus 76’), Gogić, Boyd-Munce, Dunne, Fraser, Jamieson (Olusanya 66’)

Unused Substitute: Urminský (GK), Small, Nahmani, Greive  

Booked: Olusanya

Referee: Kevin Clancy

VAR: Alan Muir

Attendance: 2,449

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Chris Kane celebrates his goal

Back to News
Share on Social