Match report: Saints 1-2 Dundee
Match Reports

Match report: Saints 1-2 Dundee

30th March 2024

Match report: Saints 1-2 Dundee

Adama Sidibeh scored a stunning overhead kick this afternoon, his first for the club, as Craig Levein’s side were defeated 2-1 by Dundee at McDiarmid Park.

Dundee took the lead after 6 minutes as Lyall Cameron lofted the ball over Dimitar Mitov from 40 yards and into the empty net.

Saints were level on the hour mark as Sidibeh sent a spectacular acrobatic overhead kick high into the net.

Saints pushed for a winner however, the Dark Blues regained the lead on 80 minutes as Amadou Bakayoko slotted Luke McCowan’s cross home from close range.

Ryan McGowan had the ball in the net for Saints at the death however, referee Iain Snedden ruled the goal out for a foul on Aaron Donnelly by McGowan and he stood by his decision after being asked to review it on the monitor by VAR official Greg Aitken.

Today’s result leaves Saints in tenth place in the cinch Premiership with 28 points, one point ahead of eleventh placed Ross County.

Next up for Saints is a trip to Leith next Saturday as they take on Hibs at Easter Road, kick off 3pm.


Saints were back in action this afternoon following the international break as they welcomed Dundee to McDiarmid Park. Prior to the international break Saints lost 3-1 at Celtic and Craig Levein made three changes to his starting eleven this afternoon as Tony Gallacher, Max Kucheriavyi and Nicky Clark came in to replace Andy Considine and Graham Carey who both dropped to the bench, whilst Sven Sprangler missed out due to injury. Dundee defeated Aberdeen 1-0 in their last game two and a half weeks ago and manager Tony Docherty made one change to his starting eleven as Amadou Bakayoko came in to replace Curtis Main who missed out due to injury.

It was a sunny afternoon in Perth as Lyall Cameron got the match underway for the visitors as the Dark Blues made a quick start to the match. 30 seconds into the match Cameron broke into the Saints box before passing to Scott Tiffoney however, his strike was blocked by the Saints defence.

It was a strong start to the match by the Dark Blues and they took the lead on 6 minutes. Dimitar Mitov came rushing out to close down Tiffoney as the Bulgarian keeper got to the ball first as he tried to head it out for a throw-in however, his clearance only went as far as Amadou Bakayoko. The Dundee forward then tried to lob Mitov although it looked like the ball may have hit the keepers hand however, he was able to pick out Cameron and the midfielder lifted the ball over the retreating Saints number one as he unleashed a strike from 40 yards that landed in the back of the empty net.

PHOTO: Tony Gallacher battles with Dara Costelloe

On 25 minutes a great flick on by Adama Sidibeh played in Tony Gallacher who unleashed a strike at goal which Dundee keeper Jon McCracken pushed behind for a corner. Matt Smith took the corner from the left and his delivery into the Dundee box was cleared by the visitors. However, David Keltjens did well to win the ball 20 yards out before unleashing a powerful strike which McCracken got down well to as he turned the ball behind for another corner.

Saints continued to push for an equaliser and on 35 minutes Sidibeh chased a long ball down the right channel before squaring it to the onrushing Nicky Clark however, he dragged his effort narrowly wide.

A minimum of 2 minutes was added on at the end of the first half and in the first minutes of added on time Sidibeh won Saints a free kick in a promising position after he was brought down by Antonio Portales. Matt Smith took the free kick and he sent a deep delivery from the left to the back post which was met by Liam Gordon however, the Saints captain couldn’t direct his header on target.

PHOTO: David Keltjens shot is saved

4 minutes into the second half Dundee created a chance to extend their lead as Owen Dodgson got away from Keltjens as the on-loan Burnley defender cut inside and picked out Bakayoko in the box whose strike was blocked by the Saints defence. The loose ball then broke to Tiffoney however, his effort from close range hit the side netting.

On 55 minutes a cross from Max Kucheriavyi was pushed over the bar for a corner by McCracken. Matt Smith took the corner from the right and his delivery was met by Gordon however, his header was turned behind for another corner by Mohamed Sylla.

The corners kept on coming for Saints and a minute later Matt Smith tried to pick out Sidibeh with a cross from the right however, Portales was alert to the danger as he turned the ball behind for a Saints corner.

Saints continued to apply the pressure on the Dundee goal and on 59 minutes Sidibeh’s cross from the left was met by Clark however, his header was comfortably gathered by McCracken.

The pressure eventually told on the hour mark as Saints got their equaliser. Matt Smith’s cross from the right was flicked and Sidibeh sent a belter of an overhead kick high into the net for his first goal for the club.

PHOTO: Adama Sidibeh scores a spectacular overhead kick for Saints to make it 1-1

The Dark Blues tried to get a quick response and on 65 minutes Luke McCowan couldn’t test Mitov with an effort from 20 yards.

Saints were now in the hunt for a winner and on 77 minutes Luke Robinson’s cross from the left picked out Keltjens however, he glanced his header wide.

Saints then made their first change of the game as Benji Kimpioka came on to replace goalscorer Adama Sidibeh.

PHOTO: Adama Sidibeh celebrates his goal with Ryan McGowan

However, Dundee regained their lead with 10 minutes remaining. Aaron Donnelly played the ball down the left channel to McCowan and the midfielder surged into the Saints box before sending a low cross into the danger area and Bakayoko poked the ball home under Mitov from close range to spark wild celebrations in the away end.

Craig Levein made a double change on 83 minutes as Stevie May and Graham Carey came on to replace Nicky Clark and Tony Gallacher.

Saints pushed for an equaliser in the closing stages and on 89 minutes Carey saw his strike from 20 yards hit the base of the post with McCracken stranded. Then a minute later Kimpioka unleashed an effort which looped over McCracken and hit the bar. The Dark Blues keeper appeared to then gather the ball as Ryan McGowan knocked it into the net for Saints however, referee Iain Snedden ruled the goal out and awarded the visitors a free kick as McGowan was adjudged to have fouled Donnelly as he challenged for the ball. A long VAR review then followed as Snedden was called over to review the incident on the monitor however, he chose to stick with his original decision as Dundee secured the 3 points.   

PHOTO: Dundee keeper Jon McCracken carries the ball over the goal line but referee Iain Snedden disallowed the goal for a foul

Saints: Mitov, Gallacher (Carey 83’), McGowan, Gordon, Clark (May 83’), Kucheriavyi, Sidibeh (Kimpioka 77’), Robinson, M. Smith. Keltjens, Phillips

Unused Substitutes: Richards (GK), Considine, Crawford, Franczak, C. Smith

Booked: Kucheriavyi, Keltjens, Robinson, M. Smith, McGowan

Scorer: Sidibeh (60’)

Dundee: McCracken, Dodgson (Howley 78’), Shaughnessy, Tiffoney (Mellon 62’), Bakayoko, Cameron (Lamie 87’), McCowan, Donnelly, Sylla, Portales, Costelloe (McGhee 62’)

Unused Substitute: Sharp (GK), Astley, Robinson, Robertson, Boateng  

Booked: Mellon

Scorers: Cameron (6’), Bakayoko (80’)

Referee: Iain Snedden

VAR: Greg Aitken  

Attendance: 6,691

Match Report by Daryl Scott

Picture: Adama Sidibeh and Owen Dodgson

Back to News
Share on Social