Saints 2-0 Dundee

Saints looked to bounce back from Saturday’s late defeat to Motherwell with a derby win over struggling Dundee.

Saints were already assured of the top team in Tayside title and Tommy brought Ross Callachan back into the squad and handed a start to Callum Hendry.

Saints were shooting into the Ormond Stand in the first half and the team had the ball in the net after four minutes when Kane smashed home the rebound from a Callachan strike, but the striker was adjudged to be offside.

Kenny Miller forced a save from Zander Clark on 12 minutes and the striker should have converted moments later when the veteran rounded Clark but his square found nobody.

Saints broke straight up the park and it was Callum Hendry who grabbed the opener and his first league goal for the club, lobbing Dieng to give Saints an important lead. 1-0.

Saints nearly added a second on 22 minutes when Callachan’s cross evaded the Dundee defence, but eventually fell behind the sprinting Kane.

Clark did well to deny Martin Woods after Liam Craig was caught in possession, diving low to tip the drive behind for a corner.

Saints pushed for a second and when O’Halloran might have been better shooting, the winger squared behind Hendry and Dundee cleared.

The teams went in at the break with Hendry’s goal separating the sides, and Tommy Wright would be looking for the same tempo but to take more of the chances up top. HT: 1-0.

Dundee kicked off the second half and Ethan Robson skied the chance of the match after Curran floated in an inch-perfect cross.

Saints bounced back and after a Kennedy corner was half cleared, Tanser’s second ball was nodded over by Kane.

Matty Kennedy’s effort on the right looked to have culminated with goal of the season but his splendid right foot drive was incredibly tipped wide by Dieng.

But two minutes later, the winger grabbed his goal, teed up by Hendry. Kennedy raced beyond the defenders and slotted home with composure. 2-0

Great link up between Kennedy and Tanser with 20 minutes to go forced a great block from Dundee as the former Everton man found space in the box.

Saints switched Callum Hendry for Davidson on 72 minutes to help see the game out.

Kane nearly made it 3-0 when Callachan’s cross dropped into the box, but McGowan hooked the loose ball clear.

The telepathic communication between Tanser and Kennedy was tormenting Jim McIntyre’s men and the duo earned a string of corners.

Saints soaked up everything Dundee threw at them without trouble, and Tanser tried to grab a late third with an ambitious volley which soared wide.

Kennedy made way in injury time after a stunning 90 minutes as Jordan Northcott made his debut for the first team.

After three minutes of additional time, and other than a yellow for Callachan, there was little in the way of chances and Saints strolled to three points.

Full time: St Johnstone 2-0 Dundee

Saints: Clark, Foster, Kerr, Shaughnessy, Tanser, Craig, Callachan, O’Halloran, Kennedy (Northcott, 90), Kane, Hendry (Davidson, 72). Unused subs: Bell, Swanson, Comrie, Gordon, Goss.

Goals: Hendry (17), Kennedy (59) Booked: Callachan

Dundee: Dieng, Ralph, Woods (C Curran, 76), O’Dea, O’Sullivan, McGowan, Robson, McGowan, Miller (Nelson, 62), J Curran, Horsfield (Dales, 62). Unused subs: Parish, Kusunga, Wright, Moore.

Booked: O’Dea

Attendance: 3,767 Referee: Greg Aitken Man of the Match: Callum Hendry